Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Car shakes and wont accelerate over 40
By alex sholom

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a jaguar X type 2.5 and when i would accelerate the car would shake and slow down as if running out of fuel. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't solve it even though the fuel filter was almost clogged. I tried changing sensors and thought it was the transmission but the reason was when i was washing the engine water got into the spark plugs and was blocking off the spark. I blew out all the water with an air compressor then put in the spark plugs and it works like a charm ever since. hopefully this can be helpful to somebody.

To whom it may concern
By towhothismyconcern

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my jaguar a year ago used from a hometown dealer. The car only had one previous owner and was bought with 78k miles. i was so excited about my new car and i looked great driving it. The car was such a beauty. i later found out that beauty isn't everything when within the first year of owning this vehicle I've had to replace the starter, water pump and transmission. this car has cost me 7k, almost more than it's worth. i guess it's a lesson learned. I'm writing this review to help anyone anyway i can.

Never again will I buy another Jaguar
By Hate It!!!!

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I will never buy another Jaguar. I have owned my car for 3 years and have had it in the shop for countless things (in fact, it needs to be taken in again but I just don't care anymore). Thank God the dealership would not sell it to me without an extended warranty otherwise I would be in BIG trouble. I can't even begin to tell you about all the issues with it. And, to make matters worse, I am trying to trade it in for a newer, more reliable vehicle and I have been the laughing stock of every dealership I have been to. I am about $10,000 upside down in it which is making negotiations very difficult. I will never, ever recommend one of these cars. They are crap.

Air conditioning and heaters work well.

Everything. Very disappointed in this car.

Wow GREAT Performance for 2.5S
By AC

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the jag with 56k mi about 1 1/2 yr ago and I was blown away on how well the performance of this car it sounds like an American muscle car when I punch it to pass uphill or entering freeway. It's fast for a V6 and it does roar. Now I'm hooked on jag! The only thing is when I needed oil pan gasket fix it's hard to get into the pan without taking apart everything from the bottom and labor was expensive plus parts $1000. When I purchased it I did not know that it was an AWD and my gas mileage is poor in mix driving but you can get good mileage on the freeway.

Stereo system, 6 CD changer, backup sensors and steering wheel controls. Body style the looks dual power seats.

Make all parts from the engine bay easy accessible to mechanics so it will not costs us so much for labor. Why did you stop making the X-Type bring it back only this time make some coupes and make the AWD system an option. Also bring back the cat on the hood from all makes of jaguars we like those.

Great car -still going strong
By yklktk

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderfully smooth on the highway, with paw like handling on country roads. The manual shift 2.5 gives back performance lost in the automatics I tested - the car will really move with revs kept above 2500.

Great styling; excellent paint work and finish; AWD; back-up radar; excellent front seats, rear is adequate; nice leather.

Crammed driver leg and shoulder room if you are taller than about 5'9". Wiper arms need stiffening. Oil-pan leak around 50k miles suggests better gasket design is in order. Similarly, plastic coolant reservoir tank has cracked at 60k miles suggesting poor quality material. Thin floor mats.