Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Amazing car for the price
By disguay

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my jaguar x-type (sport, lowered, 3.0, manual) for about 8 months and 12k miles. I have never been let down once with this car (even with 120k miles,) although other reviewers will say different. The only trick with this car is that it doesn't like to be abused. If you keep everything maintained via recommendations on forums and not the dealership, everything will continue to run smoothly.

Everyone says they love the looks they get from being in this car, but I love the awd! Living in Colorado and being an avid skier, I will cross the continental divide about 15-30 times per year. Many of those times is in about a foot or so of snow which hasn't been plowed. With this car, I consistently feel safe and have been saved from sliding off of the road many times from the incredible stability control.

Never, ever trust Jaguar's "sealed for life" campaign. It will kill your transfer case, differentials, and transmission!

Decent Entry Level Luxury Car
By ivanrothschild

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my X-Type for two years. It handles well. Not quick when accelerating until you get over 2500rpms. Handles fantastic in snow. I've had to rebuild one of the brake calipers. Every imaginable lightbulb has gone out (replaced easily and cheaply). Overall it is reliable, but not super comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is so-so. It's a head-turner, but I quickly realized I'd like a car that rides smoother and handles better. Suspension feels stiff. Great deal for the money though minus some minor annoyances at times. When it's freshly cleaned, I do sit up straighter in my seat...It's a Jag, hardly anyone has one! Fit for a queen, affordable (if you buy used) for everyone.

All wheel drive, Burlwood on the dash(!!!), exterior design, handling

Quicker pickup, more comfortable seats

Student
By Student

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Jaguar x-type just hit 120,000 and still drives great! My dad purchased the car in 2005 and recently I purchased the car since I commute to school. The car drives well, and is extremely responsive. It's a very high performance car, and will perform to keep you safe. The interior is like riding in your living room. The car is very good in the snow. I have the FWD drive model, and while everyone else is skidding off the road, I am moving along with no problems. We are located in Ohio and I have driven on some nasty snow packed country roads with it, and it performed great. As a student who commutes, I needed a safe reliable car and Jaguar fits the bill.

The snow handling is great! I love the smoothness of the car at high speeds. The car still looks new, and is an eye catcher, but most importantly this is a very safe car, and feels solid! I feel very safe driving it in any condition.

The car only has one cup holder up front. The fuel economy is around 20 for city driving, that could be improved and the maintenance is EXPENSIVE! If you buy this car, budget for the high prices and maintenance parts. Parts don't fail often, but they they do, its expensive. The back seat is cramped.

Transmission swap
By Zoomer

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those of you who had a automatic transmission swap (out of warranty) had two options, buy a new tranny or a rebuilt unit. I chose the rebuilt unit ($2700 including labor). Afterward I looked into the issue and found the rebuilt have enhancements and internal fixes the brand-new ones lack. So rebuilt is BETTER than new.

Handling and traction in bad weather. Comfortable on long trips.

Certainly a revised tranny (automatic).

A victim of misjudging
By Curtis K

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My X-Type has treated me very well; power and handling are always there when I need it. On the road, I'm confidant of the ability to pass someone even if they try to accelerate to close the gap. Sitting in this car, you really feel at one with the machine as the seat wraps around your body reassuringly, connecting you with the road as the roar of the engine actually sounds like the primal growl of a wild, angry jaguar. The steering wheel allows you to feel your way without becoming disconnected from the road as you do with many luxury cars. We have to remember, to judge this car in the same class as other high-end cars would be unfair. This is an entry level car delivering above par results.

The short wheel base allows for in- town maneuverability with ease. The disability of traction control is a nice feature. The boot has plenty of space, especially with the option of dropping the rear seats.

The AWD is reassuring in weather, however it slows down the acceleration from the line considerably. With MT, you cannot pop the clutch as all that traction blogs the engine down initially. This car really needed another 100 HP, with that it would be an Impreza killer!