Used 2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Love Hate Relation!
By sharat11370

2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Jaguar! Right from owning my first Jaguar in late 70's, I promised myself that I would never buy a Jaguar but the one that I have is the fifth. This is like love-hate relationship! Like I do not want you but cannot live without you. Like husband and wife, always bickering and not functioning properly!

Very limited favorite features. Outwardly looks pretty (specially mine is Post office Red). Interior is excellent. Leather looks good and the wood trim is gorgeous and driving is a pleasure. These are the pros and now for a long list of CONS! Annoying blind spots at several positions. Very bad air-conditioning. The module (which is very expensive) goes off frequently. Jaguar knew this problem but never rectified it. Almost half of Jaguars are running with non working AC. In my case I got both the module and water heater control valve replaced a couple times but to no avail. Engine check light is on very frequently. Transmission is very lazy!

My earnest suggestion to the owners of Jaguar (the TATA'S from India) is to sell the company to any bidder. You will be cutting the losses by doing so. This car is a good looking LEMON! I thought Mr.Tata was a good business man but he bought a loosing company. If you still want to manufacture Jaguars, please build a car that has a good AC and responsive recalls and good dealers. Just the looks of a car is not sufficient-it should be functional. The seats need to be readjusted since after driving 100 miles your thigh and legs pain. Redesign the blind spot while driving. Correct the annoying check engine light. But first redesign the AC and recall previous year's cars and correct the AC.

Disappointed
By slj769

2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car b/c I've always wanted an S type...had the pre-purchase inspection, & all they had to say was it would need upper ball joints in the near future.
But the price seemed right, so I bought it.
A week later, the battery was dead, then every week after, the battery would die, faithfully.
Come to find out, it has a parasitic drain that wasn't disclosed to us & I guess this is a huge problem with these cars.
My husband traced it out, & it's the GECM.
I'm disappointed that Jaguar produces such beautiful cars with such ridiculous flaws.
I love this car, but hate this car.
Other than that, it's been great, but I wouldn't buy another Jag.

Interior comfort, ride quality, outside design/looks.

No other luxury car I'm aware of needs upper ball joints at 90,000 miles, and of course, the electrical system leaves a ton to be desired.

Wonderfull Auto
By ao145

2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 Jags, 1960 MK ll. 1965 3.8 S, and now a 2005 S Type. The last was purchased off a three year
lease , 27K miles in Sept 08.08. Present 63 K miles. Maintenance at 30K 40K by dealer at no charge .
Only repair was to a rear disc break $214.00.
At 65 MPH . average MPG is 26.1.
I have owned or leased 14 autos, German , US and
Japanese.
This has been a joy to own.

Nice, but VERY High Maintenance
By JGY

2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car and the dealer highly suggested I purchase the extended warranty, and I'm glad I did. I like the car, drives great, is quiet, shifts smoothly, fuel economy is ok, around 21 avg. However, it is in the shop every 2-4 months for either oil leaks, electrical probs (my wife called me this morning saying the temp read out was flashing on and off), transmission fluid leaks, parking break motor going out, etc. and I have only had it 2 years. The dealer is normally good about giving me a loaner, and they always fix it for free, except when the gas tank latch broke. I thought that was bad, but didn't say much. All in all, I would never buy a Jag again, but I am glad I owned a nice car

exterior, interior, quiet ride, shifts smoothly, plenty of power for a V-6

Make it reliable. It leaks oil like a sieve from every place it can and there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix for it. Reliability needs much improvement.

It's a Wind of Change
By Zaiman

2005 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car new for a Birthday present to my dearest wife. I let her choose for any brands and any models (mid size). I took her to all dealers except Al Tayer - Jag sole dealership in UAE. She did not choose any, not until I took her to see this stunning Jag. Had to wait eagerly for a month before finally arrive. I had many luxury brands since 30 years, but this S type was totally the winner of it all. Never had a problem since and enjoy every bit of it. Very good in mileage especially on a long cruise. The V6 3000cc is a bit underpowered but more than enough for my wife to chew. Smooth, luxury and have class. Beats any Mercedes, BMW, Volvo or Audi. No regrets and still loving it till now

The classic Brits design, luxury interior, comfort, smoothness, steering. Love it overall, both my son and daughter concurred this and trying to persuade their mom to give it to them.Over my dead body says her. She love how the cat purrs.

Rear legroom could be better, bigger boot space, CD changer should not be in rear trunk and mechanism for the gas lid (broken twice)