Used 1999 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Isuzu Trooper

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (62 reviews )

I really wanted to keep liking
By rkmii

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new but within 5 years it was sucking down a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. This is a well-maintained vehicle. We are talking about a defective engine here and Isuzu has refused and/or failed to do anything about it unless somebody's Trooper was under warranty while it was doing the same thing. Also has developed problems with transfer case, TOD system - pretty much the entire drive train. I don't abuse my vehicles. For these reasons I rate my Trooper as having poor reliability because without the motor it's nothing. This is my second Trooper and my second Isuzu. Both have been let-downs. I won't buy another Isuzu. Ever.

Body style, sound system, seat comfort and durability, off-road capability, color.

Isuzu! Take care of your customers! Repair all the engines that eat oil at manufacturers cost--no matter if the vehicle is out of warranty. Isuzu knows about the problem, it's widespread. A lot of people lost big money on these vehicles.

Much better than I originally thought.
By Pyric

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

At first I did not like the Trooper at all. The body roll felt extreme and the acceleration felt weak. However, I found that this was an illusion. The suspension is actually tighter than it feels, so even though the roll is excessive at 30 mph, it does not roll much more at 60. As for the acceleration, the ride is so smooth that it feels slow, but it has nor problem getting a jump on traffic or climbing a hill. As for off-road and bad weather, it performs better than any I've ever driven.

Interior is comfortable and the ride is very smooth. Sunroof is huge! Safe and stable ride in all conditions.

Wish the roof racks that were offered ran the whole length of the roof instead of stopping at the sunroof. Would love better gas mileage, but it really is not any worse than other suvs and trucks of the same towing capacity.

What a Trooper!
By trooper123

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

What a great vehicle!! We bought our Trooper (with performance/Luxury pkg) new in 1999. We have over 360,000 miles on it to date and it's still running strong. Having some troubles now with rear differential, but that's the only problem we've ever had. The proof's in the pudding... if you take care of your cars, they'll take care of you!!

Love that the body style has changed very little, my trooper still looks new.

Still Love My Trooper
By Philbrah

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the second writeup I've done for my Trooper since buying it 5/2003 with 52k miles. The truck has been easily the most dependable vehicle I've owned and that has been over 30 vehicles. It's still one of the most comfortable, dependable, off-road ready vehicles available today and it carries people and cargo with room to spare. Yes, it burns approximately 1 quart of oil every 2-3k miles, but I've owned Jeeps, BMWs, Toyotas that did the same. Use Seafoam and watch it, you won't have any engine problems. Yes, gas mileage is about 15-16mpg, but I've hit 18mpg on the highway. If you want the real 4WD, buy a Trooper. If not, buy an Explorer.

Space, space, space. For both people and cargo. I can easily carry items to tall or large for Tahoes. Dependability beats everything else out there. Nice ride. Buy one, and you're part of a club - I still get nods from other Trooper owners.

20 mpg would be nice, but that wouldn't be realistic. Better parts availability/price would be nice for repairs/maintenance.

130k mileage, uber-dependable in Colorado
By Lesmon

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used in 2000 with 13k miles; now have 130k. This car is a beast in Colorado, smashes through blizzards and snow, pulls out cars when in 4 Lo, carries lots of stuff when skiing. Still have original brakes at only 50% usage and that includes lots of driving up/down the mountains to ski and a few 4WD drives up to 13,000 feet. Also holds my 3 kids in the backseat nicely. Love the tons of interior space; it's like having a Suburban without the excessive length. Truely have had only two post- warranty repairs: Transmission seal and Torque-On-Demand vaccum replacement. Total cost around $900. It does burn oil as others say but I can live with that and hope to for another 5 years.

Interior space, comfortable seating, torque-on-demand, stock vehicle ground clearance, braking system. Transmission is solid, so is the 4WD. Who doesn't love the brick-shaped design?

Engine could have used more power - it struggles to get up the mountain passes on the highway. Burns oil, about a quart every 3k miles. More instrumentation and less lights on the dash.