Used 1999 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (63 reviews )

Isuzu Trooper 19-year review
By J Carlos Deegan

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

The Trooper has been reliable for most of its life. An SUV, it has 2- or 4-wheel options w/traction control. We use it for transportation, hauling, camping, it has been great. After 19 years some things have begun to age: the EGR system needed cleaning (can't renew tag w/EGR sketchy), the transmission occasionally slips but downshifting into 3rd works. The air conditioning has failed, but not needed in coastal California. I should be getting ready to retire it but, we'll see.

Long time owner
By diamondk48

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Isuzu Trooper used in 2000. I still own it sixteen years later, with more than 100,000 miles in addition to the miles that were on it when I bought it. It has been, bar none, the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It still has the entire original exhaust system. I changed oil every 3,333 miles and changed the tranny fluid several times (towed with it a lot), which I credit for having avoided the engine and tranny problems that others have experienced. I kept sheepskins on the front seats from the time I bought it so the seat fabric is like new. It has also been garaged the whole time, so the paint is in great shape too. Years of life left in it.

Reliability and visibility (I don't fit into the great majority of cars due to my height). Big space inside.

Would have been nice to get better gas mileage, but it was about average for the era.

Fun to drive- Expensive to own!
By fettj

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Trooper with 72,000 miles on it and immediately had the transmission flushed and service. Throughout its life I changed oil every 3,000 miles and used Valvoline Max Life. I blew the tranny at about 135,000 miles, and I'm not sure why. I took very good care of the vehicle. Besides that, I had a lot of problems with the vacuum 4 wheel drive system, which cost me a lot of money. The AC also went out at 85,000 miles. When the tranny went out the rear struts were shot and the exhaust system had a big hole in it just behind the caddy. Since Isuzu discontinued their automotive line, part prices have gone up significantly.

4 wheel drive is awesome when it works! Looks Great!

More dependable parts (Struts, AC, Vacuum 4WD system)

Lemon at Large
By ccya

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used with 160,000 on it.
I didn't make it one month before it needed major repairs, I was told it was the transmission, by several different mechanics.
Took it to a trasmaission shop they switched out the transmission and $2700 later they took it for a test drive and guess what it was still doing the sam thing.
Turned out to be the alternator not the transmission.
Haven't had it back a week and the muffler dropped on it.
Than within one more week the motor starts knocking, not a good sign.

Lots of extras on such as heated seats, key ring started and 4 wheel drive.

The oil burns quick from what I've read best suggestion to check it every week since they did not build this part right on the truck.

Gone too soon
By yaboiaj1

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I had just bought my trooper automatic wasnt an option up there neway it was used 135k + mi. and I was paying for a little over a year I had I believe 3 more payments left and it threw a rod or whatever to me it wasn't worth the fix. We had a love hate relationship. I'll never forget driving away from it looking through the rearview for the last time. I never saw it again there was a terrible ticking noise in the engine everywhere I went I constantly had people saying you need oil took it to the shop they said I didn't but something was obviously wrong I've been car less for a year I truely miss my trooper but I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone

The high ride was awesome I could see over anything on the road and it had a lot of leg room I'm 6'4'' so thats important

engine, suspension, thats about it too bad those are two of the biggest things you don't want wrong with a car.