Used 1991 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1991 Isuzu Trooper

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Ten-Ton Untility
By mark

1991 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1991 Trooper in the summer of 2001 from an Isuzu dealer with 136,000 miles on the odometer. I performed several maintenance tasks, including replacement of front CV shafts, tie-rod ends, ball joints, shocks, and a tune-up. However, since that service interval, I have had no problems despite many, many harsh off-road excursions and an additional 88K miles (now ~ 227K mi). I have purchased another 1990 Trooper as a parts donor, and so I'll be Trooping for at least another 7 yrs. I like the spartan, utilitarian design; no nonsense, straight functional core. The tilt-up back seat is a BIG plus for hauling capacity. It is easy to work on.

Stiff suspension, NO radio!

Removable back seat

1991 Isuzu Trooper
By LS-AL

1991 Isuzu Trooper SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a '91 Trooper about 2 yrs ago b/c my spouse had a '90 model for about 5 years and we loved it. We put 280,000 miles on our 1st one and it was a great vehicle. A couple of my family members have them as well. Now we own the '91 model and it has been great. We purchased it @ 89,000 miles and now have over 123,000 and it runs like a top. We now are purchasing an '01 limited, but will keep our other. The trooper is one of the best SUVs out there - wish they would start making them again! Its a shame.

Body style and how well you can see from different angles.

MAKE THEM AGAIN!

A great used car for teens!
By jaydub

1991 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have done a pretty thorough tune up and finally am getting up to 25 mpg on the highway and 20 in town. My 89 LS actually rides much smoother, there is likely something going on with my suspension.

Short wheel base, mileage, great views.

Add cup holders!

Wow it wont die
By Eliot Dick

1991 Isuzu Trooper SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I can not praise on this car enough. We bought it from the original owner with 220,000 miles for $1000. It was the best money spent in a long time. Now it's approaching 300k, we have spent about nothing on maintenance, but like others have said it is underpowered and the ac is not very great. We do have the automatic and it's starting to show signs of wear. I have beat the heck out of this thing off road and it has never let me down. Isuzu needs to step back up to the plate and build another excellent suv.

4wd, bullet proof.

Better ac, more power, less body roll.

Amazing
By Harry

1991 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The only problem I can find with this car is that the transmission had issues. Otherwise it's as basic as "Legos."

Back seats fold down to give great amount of space and roof height allows for more vertical space.

Automatic transmission on V-6 is no good.