Used 2002 Isuzu Axiom Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Isuzu Axiom

View reviews for a specific Axiom model:

7 years and still going strong
By Frankie

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new 8/02. Seven years, 60k miles now. Regular maintenance service (oil changes,air filter). Replaced the s-belt myself @ 45k miles. No other service. New BF Goodrich tires @ 50k miles.On the way to tire dealer, just to see what power this 6cyl had I held the brake, put the pedal to the floor, slowly released the brake and smoked the tires for 200 ft. Avg 18.1 mpg since day one. Haven't reset since I bought it. Too bad Isuzu pulled out of US. I definitely would have bought another by now. Traded in a '97 Rodeo (bought new, had 137000 miles on it in 5 years, zero repairs) for this one.

The adjustable shocks, self dimming mirror, the auto-climate control-the fact that I don't have to reset the outside air option each time I start car, unlike most vehicles, huge cargo area with/without folding down the seats, info screen (compass, clock, mpg info-ahead of of its time) overall look.

Best SUV you will ever own!
By Luc

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

4 years and the only repair was a tuning light bulb! Replace the factory Good Years and the ride quality will improve. I got a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR - 80 miles/hour and you can hear only a little wind noise! Gas mileage is average, but OK for an SUV - I will say better than most SUVs with same engine size. If you are looking for a used SUV, this will beat by far any other used SUV available in value/reliability/price!

Ride, power, being safe and known that I will get where I want without problems.

Discontinued - too bad, the only suggestion is to make them again. How about a hybrid version?

Best buy
By Bill

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A good vehicle with a bad rep. I dont know why people are ripping on the transmission, which is the same exact transmission that was in the Trooper from 90 to 02 and is also in many GM vehicles. Great engine and serious acceleration. Never left me stranded. Only typical wear and tear in the 5 years I've had it. Won't sell it because its resale is lower than its actual value.

Computer display in center console has loads of good info, Best SUV acceleration for its year and good looking front grille.

Front seats are a little low, shocks are a bit stiff (they must have thought I was going to race it).

My 2002 Axiom
By Bill McKinney

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Car has been very reliable and is eye-catching in appearance. I still get people asking me, even after 5 years old and 3 years since last Axiom was made, what kind of car it is and where can they look at a new one. The styling obviously made it impossible to put in a third row seat but have to say that I have never needed to carry more than 5 people and sometimes go for months with the rear seats folded down. It's been a great car and although I plan on my next purchase being a sedan, I will keep the Axiom.

Styling, acceleration, interior, sunroof.

NA since not made anymore but from time it was new, I think a five speed or 6 speed transmission would have helped gas mileage.

Fun to Drive
By William

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Truck is fun to drive, could get better gas mileage. Plenty of torque.

Seat color, outside temp, TOD, self dimming rear view mirror.

Better gas mileage.