Used 2002 Isuzu Axiom Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Isuzu Axiom

View reviews for a specific Axiom model:

Beware!
By bmprigge

2002 Isuzu Axiom 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a little over two years and it is in the shop again for a blown engine. The last time, it had an issue with the engine and it completely seized, this time a rod shot through the block. It's a pain having to have it in the shop so often (I had to get a new transmission in it about 6 months ago) but I can't bring myself to trade it in because I LOVE DRIVING IT!! I would say that if you can find one, buy it (but make sure you get an extended warranty).

Its drivability and the fact that the cargo space is GREAT when everything is folded down.

Make my engine stop breaking.

Ohio Axiom Driver
By Oh Axiom Driver

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I've been happy with my Ax. The ride is bouncy, and I had to replace my factory tires after 20k mile because I almost flipped it on an exit ramp. I put Pirelli's on it and wow, what difference. I've also had in the shop for transmission problems a couple times...oh and now that I've passed 100k in miles, I burn a quart of oil a week. This is known problem with the vehicle, but no one knows what to do about it.

The interior!! Lots of nice features, from the heated leather, to climate control...very nice.

Well, if they were still being sold here, I say fix the bounce in the suspension, work on the reliability of the transmission, and do something about the burning of oil once the engine ages.

Model prone to Frame Rust-through
By MA Axiom Driver

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

02 Axiom with 85K miles. We live in central MA and driven by my wife who babies the car. Rear Trailing Arm/Stabilizer completely rusted off the frame. Completely unacceptable on today's car. Same frame as Rodeo and Honda Passport. Do NOT BUY this car until you physically check for frame rust and specifically on the rear trailing arms.

V6 Power, quiet drive, transmission

None. This car is dead and Isuzu no longer sells cars in North America as of January 2009. Now we know why!

You could do much worse
By KingMikey

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Honestly, I had this car for 7 years and 105K before my wife totaled it last week and with the exception of an AC compressor a year or two ago, the vehicle was flawless. I towed a 3500lb boat and it was perfect. Even with the 2WD model the limited slip system never got me stuck at a boat ramp or anywhere else. And it always had plenty of power to tow that boat. Fuel efficiency was always a problem whether towing or not though.

Acceleration...Acceleration...Acceleration...Nice Turning radius too!

Bouncy ride and Awful gas mileage.

Woah
By drivzgrlzcrz

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I will start off by saying I am very picky about my ride, and I love this vehicle it caught my eye at first but to be fair I looked around the lot only to return to it and peek inside, this is when I turned into a kid. Sweet interior, I knew 2 minutes into my test drive I was hooked. This SUV is unique and I get loads of compliments, I was previously interested in the Scion lineup & the Element but this is so me. The engine sounds like a tuned up car in power drive, super fun. Yes the pass doors could open more, the ride is wobbly in comfort, & the steering around turns uses more muscle but try to find an SUV that is perfect.. There isn't one, but this is very close.

Ext./int., ride, passing ability, torque, sound system, autodimming rearview mirror, multi disc player, comfy seats, dual tone int., RED illuminating console looks sweet at night, girthy steering wheel, the stop and stares.

Fuel economy, can be a bouncy ride (I just always use sport mode better handling anyway & no more bounce), hard to find parts (no one cares), hard coat on side mirrors peeling.