2009 Infiniti FX50: 5 Good. 3 Bad. 1 Ugly.
May 19, 2009
First the Good
1) The FX has been dead reliable. After more than 13,000 miles in just six months it has needed no repairs or unscheduled service. Zero.
2) It's fast. It's fun blowing off BMW 550i pilots in my SUV.
3) Its nav/sound system interface looks complex, but it's actually very easy to use.
4) The Around View Monitor is fantastic. Every car should have one. The other day it saved me from backing into one of these short poles in a tight bank parking lot.
5) This is one nicely built vehicle. It's perfect. From the door shut lines, to the interior trim, Infiniti's fit and finish is industry leading.
Now the Bad
1) The steering wheel is too small and doesn't tilt up are enough for my taste. I need the wheel to go up or the seat the move lower if I'm ever going to get truly comfortable in the FX.
2) The ride is just too stiff. Not GT-R stiff, but too stiff. Maybe it's because the wheels are 50-inches in diameter and the tire sidewalls measure just 1 mm.
3) The navigation system cannot be used while the car is in motion. I hate this.
1) I used to think the FX was handsome in a muscle truck sort of way. Now it just looks like a carp done up by the crew at DUB.
The funny thing is, I used to think the Porsche Cayenne was hideous. But now I think it looks cool, especially in GTS trim.
Scott Oldham, Edmunds.com Editor in Chief @ 13,204 miles