Used 2004 Hyundai Tiburon Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Tiburon

View reviews for a specific Tiburon model:

I love my car
By bakblondie

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car in 2004 new and got many compliments on it...it is currently 8 years old, only has 49,000 miles and still drives and looks like new.
Only problem I have had is buying a new battery and changing out the front tires.
I would buy this car again, except my next car is going to be a luxury car instead of a sports car.

not a lot of them around (so seems like a rare car), driving is fun, the back seats fold down making a large trunk area

better suspension, as the potholes on the roads are very noticeable; but then again it's a sports car.

Love this car but it has too many flaws...
By wicked_gk

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Tiburon GT new in 2004. Day two of purchase my drivers window motor gave out. Warranty coverage the cost. I also had a fuel return hose rupture and fuel was spraying everywhere because Hyundai cheap hoses. Luckily nothing caught on fire and Ive read this is a common issues. The engine is very very sensitive to mods and will cause bad MAF and 02 readings. I loved the car because it was my first new car ever but i had way too many problems. I sold it at 55k miles only because of electrical and engine problems. You must use OEM oil filters or the internal HLA's will click. The 2.7L v6 is Hyundai's worst engine. Their new engines are much better since they are not mitsubishi built

Interior design and quality. Exterior styling stands out. Automatic transmission is built strong

The v6 was utter crap. Im not giving my opinion it just isn't built for durability. The 2.7L v6 is underpowered, hard to work on, equipped with fragile sensors that are guaranteed to go out, and with cheap rubber hoses that are prone to cracking (fuel hose), and gets bad gas mileage. Also the stock exhaust is 1.75" at the muffler (horrible exhaust restriction). If your in the market for a Tiburon I suggest the 2.0L 4cylinder or save a bit more for a Hyundai with the new GDI engine. The early 2000's with the Mitsubishi engines are prone to problems.

2004 Tiburon V6 2-door coupe-Trouble
By ucppsych

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Special Edition 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new. Received a lot of compliments. It only has 50,000 miles on it. Prior to this the headlight, lens covers turned a dark yellow. The rubber around all the doors look like it's a 3 yr. old car. Ashtray light burned out, check engine light continues to go on and off, side power window won't go up or down, airbag light stays on, rear caliper froze-cost 400.00 to replace. Co2 sensor needed to be replaced..another 400+.The sunroof leaks like a sive into my lap. Coating on the mirrors are peeling off leaving it dull. Cannot repaint because it's still peeling. Now it's hard to start, then stalls. No one knows why. Loud sound in the front end when you turn the wheel.

Nice looking car..lots of compliments, even now

When a customer contacts the dealer regarding problems, have the decency to contact them back, either by e-mail, etc.

Affordable and Sporty
By jbeeber

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When I decided that it was time for me to get a new car I was really looking for an affordable Mustang. I could not find the Mustang I was looking for and found this car instead. I am very glad that I found this car. I see Mustangs all the time but only once or twice have I ever seen a Tiburon driving around. This car is a great choice for anyone who wants a sporty, rare, and affordable vehicle.

Rarity - I have never seen the same model driving around and very rarely have I seen similar models Handling - This car has great handling. Hugs turns and drives easily Fun Drive - Can accelerate quickly and I love driving around with the moon-roof open Storage Space - It is a small car but once you open the trunk and put down the backseats you have a very large amount of storage space Looks - This car is a head turner. It is a unique sporty car with great body design Sound System - The stock infinity sound system sounds really great. I can crank it up loud or keep it quiet and it still sounds extremely clear.

Visibility - Lots of blind spots, I suggest getting blind spot mirrors, they definitely helped with this issue. Visibility out of the back window is very poor. Nearly impossible to see out of at night. The angle and tint of the window just don't mix well for practicality. Passenger room - Very difficult to fit more than one passenger in the car for very long. Not much leg room in the back seats.

Very good for the money
By darandell

2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone who has had a complaint seems to have the manual tranny. While admittedly the automatic is not super powerful, it is a 2.0L 4cyl so what did you expect...?
Brake pads changed at 125,000km and 200,000. Rortors replaced at 200,000 (could have machined, but chose to replace.

Small things like wiper motor and washer fluid pump went, but $30 on eBay and some elbow grease fixed it up well.

At 220,000kms now and I need some suspension work, but even with not so frequent oil changes (every 9,000 or so kms) the thing is a beauty.

Original battery just went at 220,000. Fantastic vehicle for the money I paid for it. Way hotter than the Genesis.

Front leg room (I am 6'2") is a big plus. Hatchback makes it capable of transporting almost anything. Most of all, looks hot! I was told that designers from Porsche were consulted in the redesign of the chassis for the 2004 model...

for a $17,000 car, it is pretty good.