Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Waited to review 'til I'd driven a whole year...
By follathadolla

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Sonata is a VERY cool ride.
I stumbled upon a red 2011 SE Sedan in May, 2010... only to find out shortly after that the Turbo model was available. I wanted it immediately.
The first time I saw one, I test-drove it and knew it was 'love'... but didn't buy because I wanted it (again!) in red.
Didn't want a dealer to find one, order one, etc.; I resigned to keep my original purchase.

But, in November, 2011, during a routine maintenance visit, it just so happened that a 2012 red Turbo was on the sales floor.
Bought it the same visit... no test drive, even.
Have never looked back (pun intended!) and still love it!
Sporty clean lines, liquid handling, and the torque is just plain fun!!!

Well, first, let me qualify my comments... I drive it like it's built to be driven. The direct inject + turbo make for a high-performance feel... and I didn't have to give a fortune for it. It automatically shifts seamlessly, but is more than happy to oblige me as I use the paddle shifters whenever I need a little extra 'scat'. (I down-shift, too, though...) The 2012 Turbo also came with features that have exceeded my expectations. The stereo system is as good as any I've heard; the interior is comfortable and appeals to the eye; navigation system, blue tooth, radio, etc., are all easy to use; and I'm getting great gas mileage, even though I quite often 'put my foot in it'! Great car!

I have had a couple of incidents with an airbag module 'glitching out' my computer... giving me no gears (and being a big ole frustration)! The problem was solved the 2nd time, though (so far, so good...), when I was able to have it towed to the dealership while idling so that they could check it 'mid-glitch'. There was also a problem with an exhaust sensor that affected the acceleration, but it, too, was repaired... great warranty, Hyundai! Overall, I feel if I've bought a totally new-to-the-market product, then I can accept having the (occasional) problems that come with that. Actually, I kind of enjoy being in the 'control group'... I can say I lived it!

sonata
By bossman54

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

good purchase

Satisfied whit my sonta
By orland135

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

As previous owner of a Dodge Durango I have to said the Sonata is the best. I walk in to I Love Lee Hyunday of Fayett and Ms Quiomara take good care of me.
I love this car, and my family and friens fall in love whit it.

The stylist is sleek, it's quiet, spacious and confotable. Awesome Car.

Disappointed
By emlod

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I should have driven the actual car I bought before completing the deal. The steering has no road feel to it. Steering is dead. It tends to pull to the left. It is hard to keep the car straight in the lane. The car tends to wander.

The turbo makes funny noises when I start the car.

It has lots of HP but it doesn't feel like it until near the top of the shift point.

I did not get anywhere near the milage claimed. I got about 26 mpg hwy and 19 city.

Interior materials are ok but does feel like a cheap car that it is.

I like a turbo but it does not perform like I expected.

Improve steering feel, mpg and overall handling. This is certainly no substitute for a BMW. Handling is ok but very firm and you feel every little bump in the road. Not what I expected from an SE

Problems with no help from dealer or the manufacturer
By emlod

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car pulls to the left. The rear brakes went at18,000 miles. They blamed me for not having the sliders lubricated but I too the cAR FOR SERVICE TO THE DEALER SINCE i BOUGHT. wHY DID'NT THEY TELL ME. THEY DIDN'T. A CALL TO HYUNDAI MOTORS RESOLVED NOTHING.

I DON'T ENJOY THE CAR.

When you trade it in you will get nothing compared to Honda and Toyota.

Some dealers are selling
for $3,500 above sticker price. There is no reason for this. Don't pay it. Go on the internet and find a price there, but I would not recommend this car. Honda, Toyota and Nissan mask much better cars and have better service and trade in.

Why by a sonata?

The turbo gives a decent boost/

Fisx the pull to the left. Fix the stalling problem. Honor the warranty. It is basically useless. Dealer service is very poor.