Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

My Sweet New Ride!
By n_g_

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my SE CPO w/ 9400 miles, Nav/Sunroof package, wind deflector, spoiler & full leather. It has the silver /blue pearl paint w/ black interior. The car looks amazing! Rides great, love how it handles. I've had it one month and have driven nearly 2000 miles already and haven't had any issues at all. The car came with this Blue Link thing that let's me remotely control the car(start/doors/lights/horn), gives monthly diagnostic reports and can even slow the car down to a complete stop if I reported stolen and then the GPS will tell me where it is. Cool or what.
Since it's CPO I get the 5yr/60k full warranty, the 10yr/100k power-train warranty and 10yr/unlimited roadside assistance :)

Since there is so much I like I will say what I don't and that is that the tires are a bit noisy. I'll just by a better set of tires when the time comes. Other than that. It's all good!!!

There's a much better set of 18" Michelin tires that ought to be OEM on this car and not those hankooks.

No Such Thing As A Perfect Vehicle, But ...
By jewopaho

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

... this one really comes close.

My preference is mid-sized cars with high-end trim levels ... Camry XLE, Accord EX-L, etc.
This is my first Sonata Limited, but not my last.
It compares very favorably with its Nissan, Toyota and Honda counterparts ... they're all great vehicles, and given that I don't buy new cars, availability is limited. This one is exactly what I'd have purchased new ... and with only 11k miles (and at $10k less), it's close enough!
The ride is smooth, power (both cruising and takeoff) is more than adequate, gas mileage (overall about 26 mpg) is fine, and the creature comforts far exceed the competition. Hyundai is now a major player in the mid-size market!

The combination navigation/backup camera/Infinity sound system is incredible. Those yellow guide lines actually curve as the car is steered in reverse. The 8-speaker system with sub-woofer and Bluetooth is close to concert level. Add heated seats (front and rear), panoramic sunroof, and a dozen other creature comforts (not to mention outstanding performance both on local roads and highway), plus a price point that makes the competition appear even more expensive ... this one's a keeper!

As I noted, no vehicle is perfect. The front passenger seat is really low, and the height is not adjustable. Hyundai states that it's for safety reasons in the event of airbag deployment (it's why it rates five stars), but there has to be another way. We solved the immediate problem with a $19 cushion from Costco, but it's something that needs attention from the engineers. The sloping design does detract a bit from rear passenger entry comfort, and headroom is slightly reduced ... but unless you're 7' tall, it shouldn't be a major issue. High-speed road noise could be a little quieter ... but I just turn up the great sound system a notch and it's all good.

Overall
By gefforts

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We all have our opinions of our own Sonata's, for myself even after an accident, which I had Hyundai fix completely because I wanted no issues and it was major damage.
I have no problems at all in a yr and one month of owning the car.

My own issue and an issue, major for some and minor for many is the map update for the Nav. system.
They completely lied or didn't know that you had to pay 200 plus dollars each year IF you wanted the update.
Many people don't care/have bigger issues with the car or do pony up.
To me it's the principal.
[non-permissible content removed].

The turbo, HP....the looks inside and out. The handling and I think it's a comfortable ride. Overall it's a great car. There are going to be issues for some and none for other's....i've had them with my other cars. Luckily none with this car. Approaching 15,000

The higher end models should have a power passenger side seat. That's just not right. Updates to the Nav should be no charge. There are new updates each here around Oct. They are more than just updating the roads. It's more accuarte, loads faster, has the speed limit in some area's. Also should have the seats no so low and high in the back. Should of another lever. MPG is not accurate and the biggest complaint I have heard all over the net.

My first hyundai
By sonata20t

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car is excellent for the value.
Hyundai put a lot into this car regarding quality.
I purchased the car new with all maintenance included.
I have owned the car for 1 year so far.
No issues.
Important:
You have to do the maintenance on this car or it will not drive like it is supposed to.
Also, the car has a GDI engine.
Please read up on the engine.
I bought a turbo because the engine runs better with it.
I have seen mileage fluctuations but it was related to gas and oil.
You have to put premium in once a month.
Chevron with Techron is best.
It does require injector cleaner once every 2 months to keep up the MPG.
Buy the maintenance with the car!!!!!!!!

Update: 4/2016
I still have the car. Still love it. Kept the one I have (Orig $27K) because a new one is $35K with less horsepower.
Had the A/C compressor replaced under warranty. Other than that, no issues. Still get great MPG and performance.
I am at 75K miles. Have to replace the oil at 3K-4K miles as the car burns the oil. No matter what type you put in. I
put royal purple from walmart. The car does require more maintenance that other cars, like my wife's honda accord.
I have to change the coolant, transmission,brake, and oil fluids more often.. . . twice as often in fact. But it runs. I do
not like the fact that you have to pay to update the navigation. Mine is a 2012 2.0T with~300hp. another update to come in
a year or so.

2012 Hyundai Sonata Battery Problems
By slpinnv

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car is a good value over all but I've had several issues with the battery going dead. Hyundai has replaced it twice since I bought it. They do not seem to understand why its constantly going dead perhaps it Henderson Hyundai service not looking to closely. Not sure why myself but it is frustrating to go for the weekend on a trip and come home to a dead battery.
On board bluetooth sound is horrible and I quit using it all together
Bluelink needs better navigation tools. Doesn't seem to provide accurate addresses even after speaking it several times.

The interior cloth seats clean up nicely and the trunk is quite large. I thought the mileage would be better than promoted but it still is better than my Volvo got.

The bluetooth needs better transmission and sound. Fix the bluelink it is horrible compared to GPS.