Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 599 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Traded!
By LS

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

54000 miles and still happy. Cruise control button sometimes sticks.. Brakes are a bit catchy when cold but have good feel within minutes of driving. Great acceleration, lovely 6 speed gearbox, love the paddle shifts, nav, heater, a/c etc.. all work great. Overall I am happy with the car. Recalls are a bummer especially the last one but I am hoping that Hyundai come through as they have up to now..

Update from my last report: 65000 miles and all is well. My Sonata is performing as expected.., no problems to report.
Update: 69000 miles, cold weather is here and I am reminded how well the heater/climate control works. Heats quickly, windows defrost quickly too.. still enjoying the car, no surprises, good car!

Traded the Sonata 73000 miles, for a new 2016 Elantra GT (3/17).

A waste of time please listen to me please!
By Bmack

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Wine Interior (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this car last year with about 68 thousand miles after I had a big problem with Kia Motors. From a good dealership ( I'm going to let there name be nameless. So I get the car man I was in love with this car but I was 10 grand upside down so I say what the heck go for it.... So I did and y'all ( you have to excuse me I'm from Texas... Lol) when I tell you this car is crap from the start for my relationship. When I first purchased the car I had the motor mounts and the front wheel assembly replaced ball bearings and struts and shock all in a 35 thousand miles I had the car... But wait you have not heard the bad part so 9/10/2015 my car engine starts to knock and falls dead at this point I'm thinking bad gas oh no I take the car home and guess what there is a letter in the mailbox stating that my Sonata is safety hazard and they may have to change out the entire engine and car could stall at any time so okay no big deal right? Call Hyundai report what happened to the car no big deal... Wrong so Hyundai sets me Up a appointment with the local Hyundai dealer. Ok well since than time I had my mechanic look at the car and he told me that it is metal shavings in my intake and if Hyundai is replacing the motor that I might want to give them a call to make sure that I will have a loaner while me call is being serviced with the recalls.. Nope Hyundai says no and that basically I'm stuck driving this safety hazard till they figure out what's going on. This car is my only transportation to and from work and to get my self to my doctors appointments I have lupus so I have to have a car... I'm so upset that Hyundai will not help me?????

Do not purchase this auto
By Jeff

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Wine Interior (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

All my service was performed on time and engine began to burn oil. The dealer found bad ring and recommend to Hyundai of America to fix. The tech line from Hyundai said it was normal for the engine to use 1 qt of oil every 1 k miles. I have never heard of such. If this happens the engine would lock up before the next oil change. Do not by this car as the company will not honor the warranty. The dealership also took my engine apart and found that it was extreamly clean and had been service on time as it should. They also sent pictures to the Tech line and they still would not stand by the warranty.

Junk in my opinion
By Jeff taylor

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have a 2011 hyundai sonata limited 2.4l engine! Have had trouble with the passenger side door latch, trouble keeping the bulbs in the headlights and taillights, now when the ac is turned on it sounds like popcorn popping, and the car doesn't want to start! Anyone else had this problem

Great car until 100K mile, now very disappointed
By John

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

All schedule maintenance had been done on my car and despite that.
Right after my 100K warranty ran out in year number 3!
1. Starter failed at 105K miles
2. Engine replaced at 135K miles after usual hwy trip the engine light flickered went off and then followed by engine noise *(knocking or ping). Update: Find out engine had a manufacturer defect and a recall Hyundai did provide a reimbursement for my $4900 I paid.
Other than that great car. Great ride I believe thanks to sport suspension and great performance and gas mileage for a 4 cylinder.