Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 605 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Best car I ever purchased!
By vickiepayne

All I can say is WOW!
I did not test drive this car, I bought it online and had it delivered to me at work.
I was a little worried about it only being a 4cyl. But to my surprize this car has the get up and go to pass anything on the road.
It rides and handles great, I live in the ozark mountains and it is darn right fun to drive through the curves, climbs the mountains without hesitation.
I get 34 mpg through the mountains and got as high as 37mpg on flat land with cruise.
some of the plastic in the interior could be better grade, but for the money this is one sweet ride.
I used to have a lexus SC400 and I rate the sonata right up there with it!

handling, and ability to pass when needed. this car just goes, it amazed me with the instant response to speed needed to pass. handles curves like a sport car.. tons of room and I am almost 6', trunk space is huge

bit hard to back up as visibility is not the best, but dont change the style, I like the sporty look even though its a 4 door.

Head Of The Pack!
By kipstorm

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

34,500 miles, used, and still going strong. At first, I didn't like the vinyl dash, but good protectant has it looking like leather. Steering is tight and responsive. Lots of room in engine compartment; easy to maintain. Dealership was a GM one and even the salesman was impressed. I feel like a kid driving Dad's better car again. Read the Edmunds review and confirm this is the best in class, all around, at an affordable price.

Theta II engine is advanced and golden. It replaced the V6 and reached the goal of having the same horsepower and torque. The GDI is fantastic. Take that, GM. If you buy, make sure to use Top Tier gas because of the advanced injection system. Steering and handling is nimble and responsive. Tires are good. Like the cabin air filter. Individual struts. Love the different audio media options.

Satellite radio is needless. Cloth on seats seems corduroy and may wear more. I'll use protectant. Better wheel covers, please. Small glove compartment.

Oops I should have got smt else,,,smt reliable
By peter127

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had for a little over 2 years, lately I have been going to a delearship often to have issues fixed. Major issues I found were, engine won't start, thankfully I was in town. Front door won't unlock with a remote, I had to use back door to open front door last time I did that was ,,,,never ,,,Current issue, I heard a hamming sound from the dashboard, it actually felt like some one was mowing grass, honestly I rolled down my window to check. They said it was at the back of the radio unit and they took out the whole unit including gps. Guess what I am driving, a car with a big hole on my dashboard,,that could be ok but I feel it is not reliable. Better spend ur hard earned money on reliable car!

Competent Family Car
By tristanboy

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Stylish car that needs more substance. Although a good effort, still not class leading. Steering feel is a well known issue for modern Hyundai's. It feels extremely numb. The powertrain is very powerful. Get decent gas mileage around 25 mpg combined. Interior materials are nice although the center console plastics are rather cheap and the blue lighting at night is hard to read at a glance. Owned the car since November 2010. Other than routine service, I had to have the rear-view mirror replaced, the A/C actuator fixed, a new key fob. Fairly reliable and holding up well. Car at 29,000 miles.

Keyless access/push button start. Although on multiple occasions the car did not sense the key. Huge trunk space. Plenty powerful. Still get a lot of compliments on the look and people still can't believe its a Hyundai.

Improve the steering feel and driving dynamics. Engine sounds generic. More features like standard backup camera, because it is pretty difficult to see out of. I find the passenger seat too low. The headlights are pointed too low and don't offer good lighting at night. I hope the next gen Sonata will address these issues.

Great car, poor dealer customer service
By jbartz

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great car overall.
Chrome around the grill is bubbling but dealer won't cover b/c the car is 1000 miles over warranty for paint/trim - although it's very apparent it has been that way awhile.

Love the car! Not pleased with the dealer