Used 2010 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Broken door handle, door lock, fuel cap and counting..
By raka1212

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was excited initially with the value of the car but after four years I am now wondering. First problem I had was with engine light code 442, went to dealer two times but they keep claiming it is a loose fuel cap issue. I am making sure the cap is tight after every fill and even changed cap with new oem cap still this issue is persistent. Then I had one remote door lock issue which was fixed with a new lock. Now I have one broken door handle. When I searched about door handle, it was surprised to know that it is a known issue with this car as the door handles are made of cheap plastic not metal like other car and easily breaks. Not sure if I will consider Hyundai brand again.

Bang for the bucks. You get lot of standard features with less cost.

Access to oil filter, Build quality, Reliability..... and Dealership service. Dealership don't stock many parts and simple problem becomes multiple visits to dealership. I am in a market for new car and most likely stay away from Hyundai brand due to their reliability, built quality and service issues.

Here's hoping
By federale46

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car since March of 2010, and most of the time, it is trouble free, but there are quirks that make me think of turning it in.
I commute 82 miles a day, and have 61K on the car.
Everything was fine for the first 30k miles.
Then, it developed a problem with the fuel tank where it wouldn't take gas, and this took the dealer a month to resolve.
Then, the transmission started thumping.
The dealer did a reset twice and replaced the fluid, but the thumping started again at 59K.
The dealer says they will replace the transmission if they find the condition again, but the problem is that the thumping comes and goes, and when its time to take it to the dealer, the thumping stops.

The car is pleasant looking enough, and I am still on the original brake pads. The fuel economy is pretty good. The power is more than adequate.

More reliable fuel system, better transmission, use of standard fluids like trans fluid and coolant.

Door Handles
By yorkies5

2010 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2010 Hyundai Sonata and it sucks. 3 of the car door handles have broken off in the last month. They will not pay for them. I have read other reviews and this is a on going problem. Hyundai tried to say they haven't heard of this before. But I guess they haven't read the reviews. I will never buy another on. my son has a 2008 and he has had many other problems. Alternator is only one of the problems he has had with him.

Take care of your customers. And fix the door handle problems

Poor Quality Car
By ra123

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The mileage of the car will drop significantly. The door handles will snap in cold temperatures and will not be covered and will cost the consumer dearly

Nothing except leg and head room

Entire Quality

perfect sales rep. vehicle
By hantover

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Sonata new 2 1/2 years ago.
Currently have 94,000 miles on her.
High miles due to my profession as a sales rep. covering 5 states.
Only one problem was a check engine light at around 40K - dealer said it was some problem with the fuel cap.
No problems since.
Routinely get 32 mpg highway. I have owned 32 cars since 1977.
This one and Honda
Accords have been the best for ride, comfort, gas mileage, and reliability.
Left the sales rep. job 8 months ago, so I won't be driving the usual 50K per year.
I intend to keep this one for another 10 years.

Comfortable seats XM Radio Gas Mileage Responsive engine and transmission Original Michelin tires got 75k miles before needing to be replaced.