Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 341 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Another solid performer in it's class
By SevenBizzos

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning an Elantra for 125k miles with no issues (until it met a guardrail), we moved up in class and picked up the Sonata Limited V6.
So far, it's been an excellent choice.

Our MPG has ranged from 33 on a highway trip with 100% fuel, to 23 that was mostly suburban traffic with E10 winter blend.
I think that's a fair number considering the engine displacement and size of the vehicle.

The all leather interior is quite comfortable. The premiun Iinfinity sound system is excellent for being OEM. The handling is very nice and the cornering is average. Acceleration is more than adequate and I have yet to fully open the engine up. Controls from the steering wheel are nice. A lot of areas for storage that are convienent work well too. So far, maintanence has been easy. Oil changes are about the easiest I've ever seen.

As with our Elantra, the transmission shifting is weird and rough. It's inconsistant and makes funny noises. I'm not sure why Hyundai's are like this. The stock Hankooks are poor and need replacing quickly. We'll be in a new set by 30k and I'm actually happy about it. Getting the stock garage door opener to work correctly was frustrating. I just gave up.

bad gas mileage and bad shitf at 38 to 42 mph
By eprice5829

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my sonata new in 5 of 09 and from the very begining had very poor gas mileage and a shifting issue with the trans at about 38 to 40 mph and around 15 to 18 on the rpm gauge when I brought it back to the dealer for service I was told it was how the car was supposed to drive and that there was nothing they could do to fix the problem except to flash the computer and then reset it . I was also told that it was the way that I was driving the car. now that I had the computer reset and the trans flashed I now get 15.9 miles per gallon to a full take of gas and was told that it was because of the winter gas that is now out on the market well to that I say B S

the car looks very nice and is comfortable to drive in and has a very large trunk to put my kids stuff in

Great car for the money
By Marc

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I commute 80 round-trip to work and average 32 mpg in hilly terrain. No problems so far. This car is very comfortable, roomy, and quiet. I looked at comparable Toyota, Kia, Nissan and Chevrolet products and none compared to Hyundai.

Easy to live with, XM radio, smooth ride.

Annoying rear axle "thump" over some rough surfaces. No steering wheel controls on base model.

Beware of Warranty
By Arthur

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I rarely write review, but I have to write one for Hyundai. The warranty is not as it advertised. I bought it as brand new and after 3 months the AC is not working. So I took the dealer and they said a rock had hit my car and damaged the air condition function. I have been driving other cars for the past 20 years with different brands. I cannot believe the Hyundai's product is so fragile. So today, I bring my car to another Hyundai dealership, they still cannot warrant it. I asked why other cars that I had driven for years that I never seen or heard this type of problem. They said, its Hyundai's design. I do a lot of researches when I buy car, but I will never buy a Hyundai again!

Prove your warranty is true!

Another great Hyundai
By D Fuller

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Hyundai, all great cars. The 09 has 45,000 miles now with absolutely no problems. The 4 cylinder engine has all the performance any normal driver could want. Gas mileage is excellent 44 mpg (imperial gallon) on highway trips. Very well equipped for such an inexpensive car. Move over Toyota!

Comfort,reliability,mileage

Nicer interiors, all gray is a bit drab.