Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

great car.
By Kenny

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my GLS 4 cylinder with a 5A transmission last July and haven't had a mechanical problem with it since. the dash looks beautiful with a nice LED blue lighting. the audio system is great with cool features such as ipod and USB integration. Electronic Stability Control comes standard on all models, and one can turn it on and off. ESB only comes available on higher level Camrys and it is always on. I can go about 450 miles on one tank of gas. Overall, for the money, I couldn't be happier.

the cluster looks very nice. good audio system. suspension is very comfortable. turning is very predictable.

the interior material on the GLS needs to be improved. The dash can become sun-washed and the material on the doors can become easily scratched.

Rides great in Chicago
By Chicago Riding

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle to get out of my 2004 Chevy Impala with 13800 miles and a tranny that was slipping. the color is the first thing i noticed as it has a pop to it that looks different. for a base model i was impressed with the features. leaving a V6 for a V4 was hard but my pockets is happy as the gas mileage is 25-28 on the city streets and 29-31 on the highway. speaking of the city streets, Chicago is the worst with pot holes everywhere including the highway. this car moves great to avoid them and when i do have to go over some it doesn't feel too bad. i compare this to my wife's altima and i love it. she actually wants to take the sonata over the altima.

aux and usb port, sun roof and color

stronger build on the interior. i hear something rattling in the back but can't find it.

More problems than all cars ever owned
By Hyundai is Bad

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Sonata GLS 5m, and have had more problems with this car than all of my owned cars combined. Since the first week I have had problems hyundai has continually been lost in diagnosing the problems. The vehicle has been in the shop for almost 80 days with the following problems. Mis-fire codes - 5 times with no resolution. Blown Hydraulics - 4 times (clutch) Suspension is very noisy over bumps. Cruise control intermittently fails. Brake pedal fades to the floor and hissing. Exhaust rattles and is noisy under acceleration. Instrument cluster became unreadable. Drivers seat cushion failed and metal parts are hitting body. Spongy drivability when it's hot, rattles all over

XM, USB, headlamps.

Stop using Chrysler/Mitz engines, separate clutch and brake hydraulics, use better material for seats, redesign the suspension, better aerodinamics to handle cross winds, higher 5th gear ratios (3,000rpm at 70mph is too high) and better paint quality.

8 Month Review
By Eric

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 16000 trouble-free miles on this car. This is my second review. My wife's 2008 limited with 20000 miles has also been a great car.

I drive cars for a large dealership network so get to experience a great number of other makes. My Hyundai, all things considered, is the best value in my opinion. I truly enjoy driving this car both in town or on road trips. I have gotten close to 35mpg on highway! Car is comfortable and powerful.

Folding side mirrors.

Midsize comfort - compact price
By ems1

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded a '02 Elantra for a '09 Sonata. Nice step up. Got a great deal on the Sonata. It has every thing I wanted in a car. 4 cylinder performance is adequate. Of course more power would be nice but why sacrifice the fuel economy? I rented or test drove nearly all the competition and found the Sonata, all things considered, to be as good as any of them. When I factored in the price and warantee, the Sonata comes out ahead of the competition.

Interior design and quality. Audio system. The USB port is a great feature. A $12 ram drive can hold hours of music and with little risk of theft and is easily accessible with the radio controls. Interior space.

As others have mentioned, Suspension noise needs to be better controlled.