Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

value for the cast, 5 yr warranty
By bill

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is a midsize sedan with a lot of bang for the buck, for a 2009 sedan, safety features were standard, ESC, ABS, Anti skid included, all hwalpful and 6 airbags
which were often optional on others that only included 4 at the time. The stereo radio included sirrius free for 1 year, six great speakers, and controls for bass/treble/fader/side, andone more I forget at thistime, but the sound is crisp,esp with sirrius and cd's , and wav's.

I always feel safe with the safety featurs included. After 6 1/2 yrs ofownership I now have several things to have looked at, the up/down button for the driv window/ the tps light/ and possible brake inspection. The dealer in New Castle DE is great but after moving south 50 miles, the dealer in DOVER DE I would NOT recomend
at all ! They often ignore you in service desk area, and act as if you are bothering them !

Love this car
By R P

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's definitely a "sleeper"
By Jay

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 09 sonata used with 70k miles and have had no issues up to 96k miles during my ownership. It's reliability gives me the greatest sense of relief. For what it is, with its smaller v6, it really likes to show off if you let it. With good summer tires, and traction control off and in sport mode while manually shifting, on takeoff tires are almost garunteed to spin a little, very vocal. You can also get tires to spin in motion if you drop into first under 20 and hit it. No it's not a performance car. But I have beat Mustangs, G35s, TL, Audi A4 & A6, MazdaSpeed3, and many other comparable V6s. Over 4000 rpm you can feel the valves open completely and a small surge in power. The addition of VVT was added in 09 I believe with direct injection. Gas mileage is great for all of this. And runs on regular.

Best car ever owned.
By Geo

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Most reliable vehicle, more so than the Corolla, Tacoma, Civic parked in the drive. 123,000 miles, never an issue. Picked it over the Camry & Accord because of comfort. Bought in spring of '08, but is an '09 model. Up to 37.5mpg hwy. Will definitely go Hyundai again.
As of 10-28-16, the Sonata now has 123,419 miles, and I won't give it up! Runs perfectly on it's eight and one half year birthday. A couple of issues: First, the dashboard has too much glare in daylight, making it about impossible to see the speedometer with the sun beaming directly into the cockpit. Second, the dimmer rheostat doesn't dim the dash enough for nighttime driving, and as I work nights, it is a bit bothersome. Third, something new for this updated report - some rust on the driver's door, where the door skin folds over to the lower corner closest to the latch, it is crumbling, so it will be interesting to see how severe it becomes. I do wash and wax the car, regularly and it has not been driven on the salted NY winter roads. The car is now parked at our second home in Florida, so I am hoping the rust will not progress. I've also oiled that surface hoping to stop the rusting.

Be prepared for frequent check engine!
By Michael

2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car a year and half ago as a second user. It had only 75K miles on it and it looked in a great condition.
5 Months after, and the check engine was on. It took me days and trial and error at the mechanic to troubleshot the issue. it wasn't the mechanic fault, it was how complicated the issue was, and the code tells more than 8 different possibilities! Now the engine light is back on again but this time is for transmission! it has only 100K miles, and the transmission specialist told me it would be at least $1800 to get it fixed! That was very unreliable for a car that is only 6 years old with 100K miles exactly on it. I wish I bought a Camry.