Used 2008 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Buy a Ford
By rotag

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 16,000 miles in Jan '09 and a '08 Ford Fusion with 10,000 miles in Feb '09.
Both have 45k now and the Fusion hasn't had one issue, zero.
the Hyundai has had so many issues I can't mention them all here.
Additionally, I caught the dealer ripping me off.
Hyundai corporate is terrible and doesn't care.
Had issue with fuel tank where after the pump would shut off when filling the tank with gas it would "burp" and spit up gas...took 7 trips to the dealership to fix.
Have replaced all 4 tires and all 4 brakes...again no issues with Ford.
The only saving grace is the repairs are covered under warranty although I'd rather have a call without a warranty that won't break.

A Pig with Lipstick
By newburgh_jim

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I shopped around and the Sonata seemed to be the best value at the time.
I was wrong, as they say "You get what you pay for".
In the first week I noticed the ride just felt cheap and the tires squealed going around corners.
I had to replace the back breaks at under 20k miles because the original set stuck or something and cooked the back rims and actualy browned the hub caps.
Worse yet, I had to pay for this obvious manufacture defect.
Poor fuel economy and with 44k miles as of 11 May, 2011 average fuel economy is 20.9!
Tires were rotated but had to be replaced at around 22k miles.
I do not abuse my vehicles and all maintenance was on time.
Now the engine is ticking loudly.

Comfortable seats and great sound system standard with the GLS model.

Brake system, fuel economy, tire wear.

Master Cylender
By colorado18

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

i was having trouble getting fluid to the brakes. I had it looked at by 2 people was told its the master cylender. Dealer ship ignored me the first time i took in in and said i should get my brakes replaced. I did what they said and the issue was still there. I had to tell them again that the master cylender is not pumping fluid to the brakes. They argued with me and i got so angry with them i will never buy another hyundai again. They do not deserve my money. After they looked at the car and come to find out the master cylender was broken like i said. The worst customer service ever and i dont recomment hyundai to anyone.

None

tires, brakes, and interior most of it is all plastic that brakes too easy. stop being to damn cheap.

Rear brakes burned out
By emlod

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The rear brakes burned out at 18K and they made me pay for it. They said the slider corroded. I said I brought the car in for regular maintenance. Why should that happen? They blamed me for not requesting it. A call to corporate did no good, so I ended up paying. The tires wore out at 36K, Michelins and they were rotated. The steel wheels all rusted and I saw the same thing on other Hyundai's. The care is practical but about as bland to drive as you can get. The interior looks cheap to me with a very plastic look. Dealer service where I bought it has been poor so I go to an independant garage.

The transmission lugs at 40 MPH

The car vibrates at 60-65.

Don't use inflate a tire

Decent gas milage in the 4 cylinder. Large trunk. Good rear leg room

Improve transmission so it doesn't lug at 40 MPH. Use better tires. Use durable paint on the steel wheels. Correct the problem with rear brakes.

Throttle
By Hyundai Owner

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Good Fuel economy, Nice ride, Good performance. However, I had my Throttle stick, I had it back to the dealer and they fixed it that day. It was explained to us that it was a computer chip that went bad.

Washing and waxing the vehicle takes no time. cleans up nice

Computer, electronics. I believe more testing may need done.