Used 2008 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Best car I've owned.
By sdemaris

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 34,000 miles back in 2009.
It has been nothing but solid for me for over 4 years of driving it.
The maintenance I had was minimal.
The alternator went out on me last summer which was 500 bucks to fix but I was told by the mechanic that this is a typical problem with newer cars when they get close to 100,000 miles.
Other than that I've had no other problems with it other than typical maintenance.
I'm currently at 90,000 miles on it and plan on keeping it for a few more years.
The paint quality is not the best on the outside but all in all still rides like a dream on the highway.
Fun car to drive too.

Easy to handle. Great sound system and 6 CD changer. Fun to drive. Great car for the price.

The exterior paint seems to chip away easy.

So thankful
By uraveragemom

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

To put it simply, this car saved my son and my life. We were hit oncoming on the passenger side. Had this car not have been made with such durable materials and just all around a well crafted car, I don't even want to think about what might had happen. We both came out unscathed. Before this had happened, I loved my car. It was the first one I'd ever bought and I couldn't have been more happy with my purchase. It was roomy, the sound system was awesome. I bought it with 78,000 miles. Only replaced back brakes. The only thing I didn't like was the gas mileage but that's expected with a V6.

Room, size, interior design, reliability, smooth ride

CD player got jammed a lot

Warrenty about up and car falling apart
By spencer_sc

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really liked my car at first. It is coming up on 5 years old (warrenty about up) and has been to the dealer 3 times in the last 5 months. Twice for check engine lights and once for ignition problem. Twice I could not get the car to start. I thought I got a good deal but I am a little worried I will be spending a lot of money to fix soon. I would stay away from Hyundai and spend a little more to get a quality car.

Not a bad 4 cyl. engine. Plenty of get up and go and pretty good on gas. Smooth ride and very confortable on trips.

The engine needs to be more reliable so I don't have to keep taking to the dealer.

great family car
By revpsyko

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

traded in our 04 neon which was a great little car, for the 08 sonata, we needed a bigger car for our growing family.
Great gas mileage, great features, smooth ride, the ECS is nice, electronic brake-force distribution, and an attractive price, just couldn't really couldn't ask for a better car. plus being IIHS safety pick for 07 and 08 really put us at ease when we signed those papers.

I love this car!!
By maxipkat

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as a service loaner back in 2008, and it has given me no mechanical issues whatsoever. I now have 91K miles and it still runs great. I gave the build quality a little lower because the paint does chip pretty easy and the sun visors have broken, however I really love this car!

Powerful V6 Engine, Auto Dimming Mirror, Sun Roof, Sport Package, Roomy, Great Trunk Space, Heated Mirrors, Very quiet inside and out, my father in law didn't realize the car was running when he got into it the first time. Handling is phenomenal!! We were driving home when Hurricane Irene hit last year and a tree fell into the road. I was able to easily and safely avoid the tree even while driving at highway speed in a downpour! Did I mention I love this car???

Better Traction Control in the Snow, it just slides around in more than an inch or two. (Better tires would obviously help with that, too) Few more layers of clear coat wouldn't hurt (When a stone chips the paint, it goes down to the primer)