Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Bit of a dissapointment
By forbor

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Here's my story, all true.
Love the way the car looks, & performs, but that's where it all falls apart.
After about 2 weeks the drivers seat bagan to rock, & squeak, after many trips to the dealer for repairs, it now only rocks.
The seat mount plastic cover no longer stays on.
Stereo cuts out intermittently over bumps, this problem seemed to correct itself.
More steering wheel mounted radio controls would've been nice (no tune button). Appx 50k mi. the timing chain tensioner hung up, & valve inbeds into piston, nice!
Recall for this ended in '06.
Paint thin, & flakes off.
Seems like hyundai has a bit to learn about making cars, last one i'll buy I think.

Looks great, nice merging power. Spaceous interior. Comfortable.

Better, more reliable engine. Redesign timeing chain tensioner lubrication system. More reliable paint that doesn't chip, bubble, & flake off.

Not worth the money
By beth35

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2007 Sonata and it isn't worth anything. I had to replace the breaks at 30,000 and the alarm would randomly go off so that was replaced. I replaced a censor b/c carbon was build up in the throttle body. The drive belt has been replaced. Both sun visors have been replaced. The gas tank needs to be replaced but will cost $1000 b/c it won't shut off automatically. The check engine light is on stating to replace the O2 censors. The driver seat squeaks and the middle compartment rattles but neither can be fixed, and the paint peals and chips really bad. Needless to say I am not impressed with Hyundai's.

4 Year Review
By ccbloome61

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My 2007 Sonata has just turned 4 years old in July of 2011.
When it was new I did have a wheel balance problem which was fixed by the dealer at no charge.
The battery started leaking acid this summer and I replaced it.
Still on the original Michellins and have done no other repairs as of yet.
Still looks like new and drives like new.
I have 40,000 miles on it now.
Really have enjoyed it.
Powder White Pearl and I had the windows tinted.

Smooth engine.

None.

Tough Couple of Years
By mike334

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car late 2008 with 31K miles, thinking it was worth not spending the extra 4 grand for an Accord.
Issues with interior pieces, rattles, ignition lock, etc.
Issues with rear brakes and suspension noises.
Junction (fuse) box shorted out.
Noise from failing timing chain tensioner that will eventually fail.
Hyundai parts are very costly, and local repair shops in my corner of the world are mystified by Hyundais.
These cars are probably fine for someone who drives 10,000 miles per year, but the components just don't hold up for someone like myself who uses the car for business at 2.5 times that mileage.
FYI, all the required maintenance was done, and promptly, to no avail.

The local dealer made sincere attempts to resolve the issues above, and did not pressure me to make expensive or unecessary repairs. Some were covered under warranty, others were not. Mileage is high 20's with about 70% highway driving. Slowly declining but pretty good for a car this size. Lots of standard features, fairly comfortable, performance and handling on part with other bread-and-butter cars (e.g. Camry).

Hyundai needs to start standing behind issues it is aware of (e.g. brake and timing chain tensioner issues). Otherwise, we will go elsewhere next time. My impression is that the money saved up front was paid back in time as well as money. These were unexpected, difficult, expenses. There is no reason that Hyundai parts should cost what they do. There is no excuse for seat rattles, dashboard rattles, suspension noises, broken sunvisors, etc. Everything is built to a price.

B R O K E N WINDOWS!
By jennifer_c620

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2007 Hyundai Sonata with about 44K miles, now it has over 66K and before I hit my 6 year/60K warrenty expiration, my left side rear window broke and was stuck in the down position, thankfully, Hyundai fixed it at NO charge, However, now that I'm over the warrenty, my right side rear window has broken, in the down position . What is wrong with this company and its cheap parts??? I owned a Nissan before this and never had any issues like this. Also my paint is bubbling off on the mirrors, so far, this is the only place it's pealing. Though, when I bought the car, it had been REPAINTED on the hood and front bumper due to paint bubbling. I never had faith in Hyundai and still don't!!

I like the comfort of the seats and the roomy-ness of the back seat, plus roomy-ness of the overall car. The sound of the radio and speakers is pretty decent. It drives smoothly and breaks surprisingly well (much better than my Nissan ever did). As you can see I have many more negative thoughts than positive about the quality of this car.

Fix the visor springs! they constantly fall down and do not stay in place due to poor quality equipment. The paint is ****! The power windows have been a nightmare for me, please improve this feature, two have broken so far, that's 50%, what a terrible ratio when the car is only 4 years old. Again, I sold my Nissan that was 9 years old, NEVER A BROKEN WINDOW, EVER! Poor light bulbs, you wouldn't think that a light bulb burning out would piss you off so much until you owned a previous car for 5 years that was already a 4 year old car and the light bulb never once burned out, in 9 years, (I was informed they were the original bulbs). breaklight in center costs $175 to replace!!? Seriously!