Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...66

Pros
Cons

An amazing value

George T, 09/28/2017
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car, not really knowing what to expect. It was four years old with 100,000 miles on it - just beyond the manufacturer's warranty. With that many miles in that short period of time, I figured it was a road car. I've put another 130,000 miles on the car in the last seven years with no major repairs needed to the vehicle. I've changed the brakes twice. I've put new shocks on it. I've put two batteries in it. Tire wear is normal; I'm on my second set. Amazing reliability for an unknown vehicle. The car is quiet on the road. The six cylinder engine still has lots of pep and doesn't strain going over the mountains in my area. Transmission shifts reliably. I only have three minor complaints. 1) Shortly after I got the car, the windshield visors began falling down - a complaint that was the only one I found in my research before buying the car. The dealer took care of these for about $250. It was too much, but what are you going to do? 2) The selector controlling air flow direction is sluggish and always has been. Sometimes it will switch from vents to feet (for heat), but it usually takes its time. 3) The antenna for the radio is sub-par. It's a windshield antenna; again, something I expect of this type of antenna.

230,000 mile road dog

guest101, 01/09/2014

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance. I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

Excellent in Crash

Julie, 11/08/2010

We bought our Sonata used almost 2 years ago. This past weekend, we were hit from behind, with the other person going around 70 mph. My Sonata flipped end over end, landing on the top. My daughter I both got out alive, and I believe my Sonata is the reason for this. It was a very sturdy car, and I don't think we would have fared as well in another car its size.

Hyundai Changed My Whole Opinion On Their Cars

Jay C, 03/27/2016
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very surprised with this vehicle. I was sketchy before I got this car because of Hyundai's previous reputation, but after driving it and owning it for a few months, I am very impressed. I want to start off with my absolute favorite thing about this car - it rides so incredibly smooth, and the road noise is minimal inside of the cabin. Seriously, the smoothness of the ride is right up there with GM's more luxurious brands (Buick, Cadillac). The acceleration is impressive (I have the 3.3L V6), and the breaking is great. Another thing I'd like to note is how great the overall visibility this vehicle provides. As for the interior, the layout of the radio, AC controls, and the car controls (turn signals, wipers, etc.) is pretty simple and easy to learn relatively quick. However, while I do enjoy the simplicity of the layout, I have to say I don't care for how basic this car is. I know it isn't the LX, but still, this car seriously lacks some features that other cars in its class (Accord and Camry) have. The backseat provides decent leg room and is somewhat roomy for the passengers. This car is 10 years old now, and I'm still impressed with the driving characteristics of this vehicle, and my opinion of Hyundai has absolutely changed.

Great car and great warranty!!!

dwhitie, 01/08/2012

I have owned my Hyundai Sonata for 4 years. It has been a great car ever since. The only issue I had was the visor broke, but they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I love the way it drives and it's reliability. I would definately recommend it. I currently have 98,000 miles on it and trust it will go many more miles.

Been a Great car!!

Djsasha211, 02/22/2018
GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Make sure the timing chain tensioners either have been repaired or aren't making noise, unfortunately Hyundai didn't recall and it's a costly repair. Beside`s that it's been a great car I hate having to sell it.

Oh Hyundai...You've come a long way

asb81689, 03/20/2011

This is my second Sonata, my first one was a 04. I have a LX with leather, and I must say, what an excellent car.. I'm beyond happy I bought his over a Accord. It's been a problem free car and rides like it's on clouds. My friends are amazed at the ride quality, how smooth and quite the 3.3 V6 is. It's not the fastest sedan out there, but it gets the job done. I really do like the styling of each Sonata generation, starting from 2002 and up. My Sonata is almost at 70K miles, and feels new. A teenager texting on his phone rear ended me, he had to be going 15-20mph, his air bags deployed, yet mine didn't (Thank god), and the best part is, there wasn't a dent on my bumper! Just a paint chip

Outstanding value, power and handling

aseries, 03/23/2013

Our 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX has 68,000 miles. My wife used it for daily commuting for 5 years with an occasional road trip. We are both retired now and it is mostly used for road trips around Minnesota and one or two long trips to Arizona and other vacation spots. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one minor issue with rear brakes. Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

Very Dissapointed! Wanted a Reliable Beautiful car

Linda Goodwin, 12/31/2015
GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fell in love with my 2006 Sonata. Beautiful metal-flake Cherry Coke color with beige interior and wood trim on dash. Looks very elegant. To date both front doors are peeling like crazy for NO reason....and any black paint ie: windshield wipers, posts between windows has faded dreadfully... looks terrible! Have had several issues with the check engine light coming on. Have replaced modules, timing chain, tensioners, you name it. This car has been driven less than any vehicle I have owned and has been the worse for wear. When new you couldn't hear the car idle at all and now it just knocks all the time. Dealer is of little help..even told me all the re-call work had been done when I knew it had not. Will not purchase another Hyundai....

Must have family sedan

tommyc, 11/19/2006

My family has always bought Honda/Acura for the last 10 years. This year the Hyundai Sonata earned my money. Yes, Accord and Camry are great cars but when you compare the price and option, the new Sonata wins hands down. Before I buy, I drove all 3 models and here is my conclusion. Performance on all 3 models 2.4L are comparable, not much more or less of each other. Options are great on all, however the Sonata has ESC = Electronic Stability Control standard on all model. Comparing price, options and warranty, the Sonata wins the final round. This car broke the Honda buying history in my family. Based on the performance and options, this car is underpriced when compared to the Camry and Honda. Similar performance and options but better price and warranty = YOU CAN'T LOSE.

12345...66