Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 Consumer Reviews - 231 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Sonata Happy in Las Vegas
By Dion120632

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Hyundai new from the dealership in June 2006 and can say that the vehicle has been a steady and dependable vehicle. The V6 provides plenty of power when needed and the interior/trim look well and continue to work without fail. The valve cover gasket was replaced by the dealer under warranty at 55,000 miles - the only major repair to the vehicle. Otherwise, the car requires routine maintenance to keep it humming. Like many, I purchased the Sonata because I did not have enough coin to spring for a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. As I look back on it, purchasing the Sonata was a sound decision and I'll continue to drive it until the wheels fall off and I buy a new Sonata!

Reliable V6 with plenty of power, good handling, solid build quality, high crash scores and safety features, big trunk, roomy for five adults, 100,000 warranty, and value.

CD player sound quality is fair but overheats after extended use. Fuel economy could be improved. Hyundai historical low resale value (However, i intend to drive this vehicle for a few more years and squeeze every dime out of it I can)!

Perfect no, but better than expected
By Advancing

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I like this car. It has been very dependable (65K no problems at all) and does everything I want it to do. V6 is better than expected, smooth, quiet and peppy. Not a screamer but I didn't pay for a race car. One minor complaint is the tranny hesitates when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear just slightly. I was told this is normal, I don't buy it but it hasn't proved to be a problem. Interior is functional and initial critiques questioned the durability of the cloth seats, well they were wrong, good stuff. I bought this car to be functional and dependable, and it has been rock solid. Yea the front end can float a little but it was not a BMW. Bought with 14K for $13.5K. Best car for $.

Dependable. 65K and not one rattle. Moonroof, windows, doors, trunk etc are tight and fit perfectly. Alloy rims, moonroof, Compass, power driver seat, ESC, antilocks, etc for the money I paid is just outstanding. V6 Engine is great 22 city / 28hwy. Comfortable and safe with tons of airbags.

Very minor things. Most personal taste issues. Front cup holders are cheap and the design is weak. Tighten up the front end, it floats in hard turns and at speed. Gauge package is marginal and looks cheap. No input for MP3 Player on stereo. Some cheap plastics on interior should be upgraded.

2006 Hyundi
By Helmut

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not at all happy with this car since I picked it up from the dealer. It had pulsating on the brakes and a vibration while driving. This was on city streets. Had to go back twice to have the rotors turned and wheels balanced. Vibration was never fixed to my satisfaction for a new car and was told that there is nothing wrong. Washer pump failed at 120K Strut mount bushings had to be changed at 130K Head lights need to be replaced at least once a year and engine light comes on with no fault and needs to be reset. The initial cost is attractive but the resale value is not there so as far as I am concerned the cost of ownership is high. I will not buy another Hyundi. I have owned two Sonatas.

Suprisingly Great Car
By Felt32

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I enjoyed owning a Hyundai Sonata especially with its excellent warranty and comfort in it. The price was excellent for all that I got in the car. The drive and gas efficiency was very good.

Gas efficiency, drive, features for the money

Design, however they have redesigned this for 2011 and it is really nice looking

Thanks for the Sonata
By JS

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a few nice but questionably built US cars, this Sonata model has restored my faith in car manufacture. It's just beautifully designed and built. It has a strong and confident engine. The details are just so nicely thought out. This is an unparalleled highway car. Improvement I feel could be the ride as it's is a bit bouncy on city bumps and the gas mileage drops too much in the city. Otherwise excellent excellent car. Gorgeous refined looking exterior.

Exterior design. Smooth engine and ride. Good seats. Head room , voluminous trunk and rear seat room. Excellent features, cubbies, visors lights etc..

Ride on rough pavement. City gas mileage a bit low. Stronger seat material and darker colors available. The light beige seats are practically white! Change the ignition design so keys don't bang on dash.