Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 641 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Buikd quality Misses
By muddie36

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

There are certain build quality issues with Hyundai and I believe that this was good first serious attempt to challenge Toyota and Honda. But the cup holders are horrible and should have never ever made it to production. What was hyundai thinking? One can only assume that Koreans think that every drink Americans have are supersized big gulfs? (they did address this with the 2010 updates). The Sunvisor breaking arm issue should have been a recall and not a TSB. The Sunvisor arm breaks and then comes down while you are driving, so I guess it's okay that the visor comes down and blocks your view causing an accident. And the final pet peeve are the break lig

Handling, interior comfort, ride.

Cup holders, AC controls, access to rear taillights, Sun visor arm breaking. Cost to own is very high for the six.

230,000 mile road dog
By guest101

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance.
I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

Fully loaded, very reliable! Would definitely purchase another Sonata

2006 4 Cyl GLS
By brantw

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car 3 years ago for our daughter.
It was a one owner, well cared for car with 90K miles.
It now has 105K miles and has been good to us.
I had the usual 90K mile service done when we first got the car (change fluids, belts, hoses) and all has been well.
While the engine may be slightly less refined than my wife's camry, the build quality and fit and finish is better.
I am a car guy a really like this car.
The mass air flow recently failed but this is relatively minor and the car sits outside at college day after day and this may have had something to do with it.
Mileage is good and would buy the car again.

Nice functional interior. The previous owner fitted our GLS with leather. Body style is nice and attractive in aquamarine with the upgraded alloy wheels.

More front seat travel. I am 6'2" and it is tight when I am driving. An aux port for ipods would have been nice. We have had a couple of minor issues with the rear door lock failing and a sticky driver's outside door handle but that's it.

Warning: It costs $3,500 for a clutch job!
By rob_anderson

2006 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My clutch failed at only 85,000 miles (and half of those highway miles), and to my dismay I found that this car has a "dual mass flywheel" that can not be resurfaced and is ONLY AVAILABLE through Hyundai. To fix the clutch AND replace the flywheel costs almost $4,000!!

Update: At 105,000 miles the car threw a rod and the engine was toast. It would have been another $4,000 to replace it so I gladly parted ways with this car - and with Hyundai FOREVER.

I'll sound like a shill for saying it, but my mechanic literally told me that I should have bought a Honda. I bought an Accord new in '94 and sold it (still running fine) after 12 years and 175,000 miles. Since I drive 25,000 miles a year I need a good commuter car, so after the Sonata died I bought a '14 Civic new and am really happy with it.

It's too late for me, but not for you.

Outstanding value, power and handling
By aseries

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX has 68,000 miles. My wife used it for daily commuting for 5 years with an occasional road trip. We are both retired now and it is mostly used for road trips around Minnesota and one or two long trips to Arizona and other vacation spots. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one minor issue with rear brakes. Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

V6 is powerful and quiet. Sound system is pretty good for 2006. Most reliable vehicle I have owned in 50 years. Very cool oil filter location. Excellent highway handling, very maneuverable. All-around good performance. Good visibility. Good fuel mileage.

Driver's seat lacks side support and is too soft. Seat belt warning chime is too loud. The stock sound system lacks flexibility. Heater takes a long time to put out heat in Minnesota winters.