Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX Consumer Reviews - 264 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Oh Hyundai...You've come a long way
By asb81689

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Sonata, my first one was a 04.
I have a LX with leather, and I must say, what an excellent car.. I'm beyond happy I bought his over a Accord. It's been a problem free car and rides like it's on clouds. My friends are amazed at the ride quality, how smooth and quite the 3.3 V6 is.
It's not the fastest sedan out there, but it gets the job done.
I really do like the styling of each Sonata generation, starting from 2002 and up. My Sonata is almost at 70K miles, and feels new.
A teenager texting on his phone rear ended me, he had to be going 15-20mph, his air bags deployed, yet mine didn't (Thank god), and the best part is, there wasn't a dent on my bumper! Just a paint chip

I love this car is easy to work on, I can easily change the front and rear brake/rotors. Oil changes are even easier! The oil filter is on top of the engine, next to the air box. No more timing belt, timing chain doesn't need any maintenance. The headed front seats work great, and the HomeLink rear view mirror is pretty neat! The interior has a great feel to it, the nobs and buttons feel good. What really sold me on this car was how quite it is, I had to really listen to tell if it was on.

I really do not care for the brakes, they feel spongy at times. City MPG lacks, yet I can get 30 on the highway, go figure. The dash is very boring looking, the 09+ models really look better. The steering wheel controls needs a track selector, it only has controls for volume, mute, and mode. Oh well, the good outweigh the bad.

Very Good Buy
By Anonymous

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Sonata LX in April of 2007. It had about 3,000 miles on it. Since then I've driven it nearly 35,000 miles. This car has performed well and has had very minimal problems. The ride is great and the acceleration is more than adequate. The only service I have done to it besides regular maintenance was: power mirror replacement(under warr.), brake light sensor (under warr.), passenger sun visor broke(under warr.). I also had to replace some air valve in the engine due to stink bugs crawling up inside it...ugh. Thats nothing against the car tho. Overall, I love this car and it's been very reliable. Would definately consider buying again!!

This car looks sharp in the LX package with the 17" rims and the stainless dual exhaust and chrome door handles! The in dash 6 CD changer with the premium sound system is good! Clear sound and great bass! Large trunk! The V-6 is very peppy with all the power to do a quick pass when you want it.

The car should have an mp3 audio input jack. Power passenger seat would be nice also. The steering wheel has volume controls but not track fwd. Maybe these options have been added in more recent models. They're not big issues but would make nice improvements.

Best I've owned
By happy owner

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

With 5 years and 50,000 mi on my Sonata LX, I couldn't be happier. Only repair has been a sensor, under warranty. Good performance, good handling for a family-type sedan, comfortable. No problem with mileage - 19 around town, 27 highway.

Performance. Audio system (premium)

A bit of suspension improvement

No Problems but normal wear and Tear
By Feezy

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have over 110,000 miles and I have had not issues other than the normal wear and tear item. Being a do it yourselfer I spent about 150 to change both control arms to get rid of an annoying squeak but other than that just the normal changing of bulbs, oil/filter and tires....

Auto lights and 12 volt outlet in the trunk.

always on 12 volt outlet

Great car
By rla443

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After 58000 miles, it has turned out ot be a great investment. I looked at Lexus, Audi, Volvo and Nissan and found most of the same features and better power for over 10,000 less (if buying used, beat the depreciation). Perfect reliability. Only two complaints. The visor broke and won't stay in the back position and It would be nice to have a greater range of adjustability in the power seat. I will definitely buy again. My wife only averages about 21-23 MPG but the price difference is worth it.

Power, features, Looks, Size, Warranty and safety.

Greater adjustability in seats, better mileage.