Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Outstanding value, power and handling
By aseries

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX has 68,000 miles. My wife used it for daily commuting for 5 years with an occasional road trip. We are both retired now and it is mostly used for road trips around Minnesota and one or two long trips to Arizona and other vacation spots. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one minor issue with rear brakes. Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

V6 is powerful and quiet. Sound system is pretty good for 2006. Most reliable vehicle I have owned in 50 years. Very cool oil filter location. Excellent highway handling, very maneuverable. All-around good performance. Good visibility. Good fuel mileage.

Driver's seat lacks side support and is too soft. Seat belt warning chime is too loud. The stock sound system lacks flexibility. Heater takes a long time to put out heat in Minnesota winters.

Six Years and Still Happy Customer
By danbro1

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I am VERY pleased with my 2006 Sonata LX.
I purchased it new in 2006 and have had two minor warranty repairs, a power window malfunction and an ignition key issue.
I change the oil and rotate the tires every 4M miles.
I have about 55M miles on the car.

The V6 engine REALLY is powerful. Even if you are travelling 70 mph and hit the accelerator, your head will snap back - it's that good. At 55M miles - no problems. A good performance record.

My number one biggest complaint about my Sonata is the ROAD NOISE! Really, really noisy car on the highway. The tires sound like they are in the cabin with you. My second biggest complaint is the poor quality AM radio they install in their cars. VERY POOR. I get static on the 50M watt stations in town. I dislike the seat belt alarm. It is incessant. You can't sit in your car with the engine running with transmission in "Park".

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX V6
By mogulprinceton

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I dont understand... When I fill my tank up it says 350 miles to empty every time but the MPG estimator say 318.6 CITY /477.9 HIGHWAY. My Sonata has 31,000 miles on it and its 7 years old. After while the car becomes uncomfortable on long rides a hour or so into the drive. It's hard to take off from a red light without the wheels spinning causing a ruckus. The body roll is insane when turning at spends higher that 15mph. The 235 @ 6,000 RPM and the 226 lb-ft Torque @ 3,500 Torque RPM is to much for the front tires.

The Infinity Sound System, The Antilock Brakes with Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Electronic Stability Control with Traction Control. The Climate Control. .

The 235 @ 6,000 RPM and the 226 lb-ft Torque @ 3,500 Torque RPM needed to be reduce cause its to much power that the front wheels can't handle.

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 FWD Plush Ride not Firm
By mogulprinceton

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Lets make something clear the 2006-2010 Hyundai Sonata's are not sports cars, its more of a luxury car. It has a very smooth plush ride but the suspension is the worst. It's not a good car to cut corners fast in at all. A lot of body roll. It seems as if when taking off from a red light to a green light at full throttle the front wheels can't really handle the power the engine is giving off so it makes the wheels burn rubber on the pavement which I hate. The ESC kicks in very quick when on wet or slippy roads. I was driving and turned a left at a 15 degree angle at 20mph and the ESC did its job even though I didnt need it to save me at that time. It should have daytime running lights.

The streeing is great, exterior styling is awesome, leather seats are nice, sound system sounds banging, 17 inch alloy rims look attractive

Suspension needs firming its to plush

Oh Hyundai...You've come a long way
By asb81689

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Sonata, my first one was a 04.
I have a LX with leather, and I must say, what an excellent car.. I'm beyond happy I bought his over a Accord. It's been a problem free car and rides like it's on clouds. My friends are amazed at the ride quality, how smooth and quite the 3.3 V6 is.
It's not the fastest sedan out there, but it gets the job done.
I really do like the styling of each Sonata generation, starting from 2002 and up. My Sonata is almost at 70K miles, and feels new.
A teenager texting on his phone rear ended me, he had to be going 15-20mph, his air bags deployed, yet mine didn't (Thank god), and the best part is, there wasn't a dent on my bumper! Just a paint chip

I love this car is easy to work on, I can easily change the front and rear brake/rotors. Oil changes are even easier! The oil filter is on top of the engine, next to the air box. No more timing belt, timing chain doesn't need any maintenance. The headed front seats work great, and the HomeLink rear view mirror is pretty neat! The interior has a great feel to it, the nobs and buttons feel good. What really sold me on this car was how quite it is, I had to really listen to tell if it was on.

I really do not care for the brakes, they feel spongy at times. City MPG lacks, yet I can get 30 on the highway, go figure. The dash is very boring looking, the 09+ models really look better. The steering wheel controls needs a track selector, it only has controls for volume, mute, and mode. Oh well, the good outweigh the bad.