Used 2003 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great car! Lots of Bang for your Bucks
By George

2003 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know about some of the previous reviews. I bought this car from the estate of a friend who bought it, then died shortly thereafter. He told me he loved his previous Hyundai and this one also. I was skeptical, but at the time it was just what I needed. This car has been extremely reliable, easy to drive and repair (for what little repairs it needed). Assessing the quality I would say it is not quite as good as a Honda Accord, but better made than a Camry, too bad the resale value isn't that of either of these models. I would definitely buy another Hyundai and I think that the new Sonatas are better than ever!

Powerful V6, Nice Leather interior, CD and tape FM radio, Climate control works great, easy to driving and terriffic "Road Feel". An overall nice car to own and drive!

Could use slightly more headroom for us taller people.

It's a not so good used car
By bm662

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used had tune up and timing belt replaced. Still not much better? Had suspension checked 4 times replaced struts for safety. Still has thumping sounds no one can find reason! But told car is safe? The amount of money I paid for plus repairs I could have bought a new one live and learn. Dealer was supposed to be reliable. Not so in this case this vehicle should be called the Hyundai clunker.

looks of car! inside is good for a cheaply made vehicle.good visibility

Hyundai should have made vehicle with reliable parts but this was not the case.repairs too costly. not worth it

Expensive to maintain
By Nichols

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Caliber stuck at 9,000 miles whole new break job on rear, then front pads fell apart at 15,000 not covered. front interior handles cut passenger had replaced prior to recall. flush trans fluid expensive due to special fluid. alternator went out at 60 thousand, very expensive to replace, labor cost will kill you. Timing belt goes out around 60 thousand. Be prepared for tune up. Have your check book ready if you by a used 2003, you'll need it for repair cost. Paint flakes off exterior door handles.

Make your car easier to repair, so you don't have to take the engine apart to fix one little part. Make it to last!

Hyundai should honor their repairs
By jamesw71

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new back in 2004. Stepson crashed it 3 months after I bought it. The dealership is having problems fixing it and honoring my insurance claims. Approximately once a year it won't start. They claimed they fixed it by doing such things as disabling the antitheft system, changing the battery and replacing sensors but I still have the problems. Insurance won't honor the claim anymore saying its a sensor problem even though its the same problem from the crash, the dealership is charging me $500 a year to change the same sensor over and over. Statefarm Insurance and Hyundai are screwing me over on this one. Exterior is coming apart..again, radio problems & door handle problems.

Handles nicely. Interior is nice and comfortable to drive. Good gas mileage. Lot of comments from people asking me how the car is, though I never give them good reviews, maybe if Hyundai would fix the stupid thing. Looks like a Jaguar too bad your mechanics aren't as good!!

Honor the insurance work and fix the original no-start problem, stop charging me $500 a year to fix the same sensor. Setup a national maintenance system to track repairs (helps out your active duty military members who move a lot like me!!!)

Value and Dependability
By msailyork

2003 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for my wife who uses it to commute 80 miles to work every day. Well, after 7 years and 122K miles I can say this car was a bargain. We've performed all the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any problems. Beware the cost to change the plugs, labor was $234, however I've only had to do it twice. Great little car with all the LX amenities. Liked it so much bought a Hyundai XG-350 for myself.

V6, leather seats, power everything, sun roof. The auto climate control system is a winner too.

The only thing we didn't get were the anti-lock brakes since they were an option. Probably standard now.