Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Warranty not what they claim
By Jeann

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved my car. A few minor flaws, such as the interior handles needing to be replaced several times, and the armrest wasn't the most comfortable. Other than that a fantastic car. However, I now have 30,550 miles on my car and the fuel door doesn't open. (Not covered under the extend warranty that I purchased for an additional $1265.)Now the car is also due for 30,000. mi maintenance - $400., and drive belt (required) $600. Yet the car is only worth $4500-$5000. You do the math. I won't buy another!!

Affraid to get a different car
By Robert

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

The 2002 Sonata was the first new car I ever bought. I've been driving it now for close to 7 years and put 137,000 miles on it. At 100,000 my brakes begin to wear out. This is the only time I've had to take it in for major work, but new brakes at 100,000 miles is normal. My Sonata drives today at 137,000 as well as it did when I drove it off the lot with 12 miles on it. I believe that in order to get any car as good as the Sonata, I will have to either get another Sonata or a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi to get the same quality that I've gotten from the 2002 Sonata. It has been nothing less than superior in all areas of performance and reliability. I Will have a very hard time replacing it.

Body, engine, interior, trunk space, reliability, smooth driving, acceleration, sound system, shifttronics gear system...the list goes on and on.

none

my 2002 sonata experience
By rashaun

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned the car for 5 years. First let me tell you for the first 60,000 miles zero problems as long as a kept up the maint. After tho power steering pressure hose burst 560.00, ignition crank sensor failed 600.00. During this time many interior and exterior pieces started coming loose and generally looking bad. struts now bad too. 75,000 miles the timing belt fails and destroys the engine to the point where it needs a rebuild. Id ditch the car after 60k, its resale value is so low its not worth the repairs. now have a year old toyota and a six thousand dollar paper weight.

warrenty even tho after 60 thousand miles youre on youre on for most stuff. good styling, interior boring but alot of options for the money pretty good value in the short term

Better interior styling, why make a car with a timing belt that could destory the engine, hondas and toyotas dont have this problem with thier timing belts.

I Love My Car
By Stevie

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car. I have had things go wrong with it: replacing four window regulators, one speed input sensor, one speed output sensor, one oxygen sensor, but other than that, this car has been great in the near six years I have owned it. I love it more than the Plymouth I had before (for 14 years). It has such a comfortable interior that I can drive it for long periods of time and not get tired or sore. When I first got it in 2001, it was a big head turner and people would come up to me and go, "That's a Hyundai?!" They thought it was a Jaquar, BMW or a Mercedes. Mine is black with black/gray interior and it looks sophisticated. Still looks like new because I take good care of it.

I love everything about it.

2 Litre Sonata CDX Auto. (UK Spec).
By Charlie

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well, what can I tell you?.......I thought long and hard before buying my Sonata, but what a good choice it was! Only things to go wrong in three years of ownership was a sensor broke down inthe engine, (easy fix warranty), and a sidelght bulb blew, 5 minute job to put right I love driving this car, and occasionally, when I am in hurry up mode, I use the "tiptronic" gear change, I have to say that this isn't very often, as I mostly prefer to drive at a more relaxed pace and let the auto do it's stuff, which it does with super smooth aplomb! So far I have 42000 on the clock, which is low mileage for the year. Great car, highly recommend!

Love the retro styling of this model, to my eyes looks far more attractive than the newer models, love the interior, the seats are superbly comfortable, and the leg room, both front and rear is great. I tow my sail boat with this car, and have had no problems at all.

Don't quite know what to say here, I mean, how do you improve on perfection??? (grin).........Well, OK, I guess we would all like to use less fuel, but to be honest, for a vehicle of it's size and HP, I don't think that the fuel economy is all that bad. Generally, I am very pleasedwith my car.