Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2002 Sonata
By Andy

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Good commuter car, not so great mpg but manageable. Some issues were fixed under warranty; water pump, front window motor replaced and complete instrument panel replaced because of a broken fuel gauge, so reflected mileage is actually less than actual. The cons: front right brakes were replaces but always squeaks, timing belt jumped and damaged the timing sensor before 60k miles and transmission speed sensor went out at 64k mi which cost me $950 and $350 respectively. Dealer said it was not covered under drivetrain warranty, would have wanted to keep this car but problems are starting to pop out.

Generally a good car to drive , lots of extras that don't usually come with other cars of it's class..

Good Car
By 02Guy

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my car brand new back in 2002. It now has 123,000 miles on it and I'm now just experiencing a few problems. The power steering line is leaking power steering fluid. From other reviews, it seems like this is a common problem and should possibly be a recall because of a poor design flaw. The paint is also peeling on my roof. A few other minor complaints were the antennae broke, but it was still under warranty, the O2 sensor went out a few times and chrome inside door handles peeled, all covered by a recall. Also, the maintenance is a bit pricey. Now for the good. It handles great and has such a smooth ride. No major problems the first 7 years of ownership. I'll buy a Hyundai again.

Ride Reliability Looks

Paint Power steering line design

Solid Transportation But
By BigJim

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I now have 94K miles and the car has provided 100% reliable transportation. Most reliable car I've ever owned. BUT - the electric antenna never worked right from day one, the clock goes on and off and I can't turn the radio off. It keeps coming on at random times. Love the car, it drives wonderfully, very comfortable, no repairs except oil and tires. Good mileage. Still looks shiny and new. The Rick Case purchasing experience was horrible (very manipulative) and their service dept isn't any better. They charged me $460 to do back breaks but only did one and charged me for both. Found a work light hanging from my car when I got home! I'll buy another Sonata soon but not from them.

Incredible reliability, quiet operation, surprising mileage, my GLS is loaded with expensive options I didn't have to pay extra for.

The radio doesn't sound all that great and the antenna system doesn't work. Need another brand of radio with better sound. Oh yes, the AM radio reception is TERRIBLE. Can't listen to the ball games! The signal fades in and out and I live in the city. Great car - crappy radio!

Hasn't cost me a cent in repairs
By Pearl

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for 8 years and other than oil changes and brakes, it hasn't cost me a cent. There was only one minor steering problem a few years ago, which was covered under warranty. It still rides like new. I would keep this car forever, but I'm ready to try out a Hyundai Santa Fe. Hands down, best car I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few over the years.

No mechanical problems in 8 years!

Best car owned
By Marcus

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have over 140,000 miles on my car and so far I've only replaced minor parts due to wear and tear. Its very reliable and easy to repair for the do-it-themselves type. Parts are cheap and durable. I expect to at least drive another 100,000 before considering another car.

More horsepower