Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

My Hyundai Sonata
By Roberta Richards

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have found this to be a very fine vehicle. I purchased it with 26,000 miles on it and now have over 108,000 and with the exception of new tires and a recent brake job I have done nothing other that routine oil changes and maintenance. I also get about 33 mpg so it is economical to run. The back seat folds down so I have been able to cargo almost everything I've had need to.

Fold down back seat Fuel efficient motor Handles well even in winter Rides and feels like a more expensive vehicle

I would have liked to have a sun roof

Would never Buy again
By hyundaihater

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Mom gave me this car and what a lemon.though it lasted me through college,cost me tons of money for repairing. Timing belt broke at 53000 miles out of nowhere, had to get a new engine at this time, luckily under warranty after showing massive proof of oil change records.had to get new breaks every year and a couple months later would squeal like a pig the minute i stepped on breaks. Terrible rotors or terrible work by mechanics i'll never know. Check engine light comes on intermittently. Luckily, i will never deal with this again as i'm now a college grad who'll be able to avoid a hyundai now and forever. Am very grateful to have had a car that got me from point a to b. So thanks.

Heating system was good. I mean i hate cold and the heat would be blasting excellent.

everything! this car has got to be a nightmare.

Say NO to Hyundai
By Bob

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Beware of chronic "check engine" warnings. Prepare to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for faulty sensors: input and output. Hyundai will capture the public with a low/reasonable price tag but the REAL cost of ownership begins the day you take it home from the dealer. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN hyundai!

very good
By engin

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

didnt have any major problems. When had problems hyundai service took care of it under the warranty

cd player

i think the 2006 sonata looks really hot sportier

I've driven better
By JJ Leonidas

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 6 cylinder Sonata and for the first 30,000 mile was great. After a tune up, it was down hill. The disc brakes keep making noise, it has a bad sensor that I spend too much money on, the transmission keep slipping, and when the power windows need repairs, only Hyundai can replace it, with a cheap plastic piece to draw it up and down. I may have drive the crap out of the car, but the reliability is bad. It also revs up to 4000 rpms after I start it up. I'll stick with my Ford Tempo which out last the Sonata so far out of the two cars I have.

The sound system, lumbar, cruise control, body style.

Rip the blue prints and start all over. More power. Better brakes, better transmission.