Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

I love all things Hyundai
By CoraNecole

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am the proud owner of four Hyundai's. Three Sonatas and one Accent. Did have a 99 Elantra. I just passed to my daughter my "01 Sonata after buying a new "08". I just love that car. I told my kids as they got old enough to drive that if they wanted me to buy them a car that it could only be a Hyundai. When you come to my house it looks like a dealership. I will forever be loyal to the Hyundai family of cars. They have taken great care of my family. With the exception of one problem caused by human error, my run with the brand has been great. I am now looking forward to the Genesis. GO HYUNDAI!!!!

2008 model = More ground clearance. More headroom. Luxury feel. Heated side mirrors. Automatic headlights, satellite radio. 2001 Model = super sporty feel. sleek, my little traffic dart.

Bluetooth Capabilities and a secure digital card slot in the radio is all that is missing.

Take care of it, and it can last
By Chris from AZ

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car for the the reliabillity of it's engine, which has proven to be reliable beyond 130,000 and still going. As with ALL cars things WILL go over time, none of them major. Taking care of it and replacing the transmission mount at 100k (which is the cause of uncontrolled reving, and gear slip) Gear slip is also caused by finicky INPUT and OUTPUT speed sensors. In either case the problem goes away when fixed.

Drive by wire transmission, Design, DOHC.

Improved input/output sensors. Stronger engine mounts.

Decent Car
By John

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car as a hand down from my parents when it was at about 55K miles. We bought it brand new in 2001 and had zero problems with the car until recently. After 50,000 miles the Engine had to be replaced. Though its been running great as long as I've had it, the only problem I see now is the auto-Tranny is lagging (at 65K Miles) but thanks to the 10year/100K mile warranty that wont be a problem. The power you get is surprising for a 4cyl. I have no problems passing people on freeways and it handles corners very well for a Sedan. I wouldn't recommend this car but its fairly reliable.. if your stuck with it, it'll get you from point A to B without many problems.

Great Brakes, Comfortable Seats, Good Sound system.

Wish it came with the Orginal estimated 149HP (it was later downgraded to 138HP). Could have designed the exterior to be a little more sporty.

By Todd

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Get something else. Not reliable - needed new door locks TWICE, water pump, exhaust. Now the mechanic says it needs a new engine. I have no pressure in one of the cylinders. Airbag light is on, dealer can't fix it. Cruise control doesn't work. Stock CD player wouldn't eject anymore and had to be replaced. Transmission searches for correct gear on the slightest of hills. Headlights burn out every 2 months (yes, I am installing them correctly without touching the glass). Car now has a very loud squealing noise when turning the wheel in a parking lot. Traded it in for a Civic today.

Speakers sound great. Side impact air bags. Sunroof is nice at this price range. Brakes were always responsive.

Quality control at the factory.

One of the Worst
By andrea

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is loud and had tons of work on it. WHile it was under warrenty, it had many parts replaced. THen 2000 miles after warrenty was expired, the trans had to be replaced. It is loud, rattly, and it drives like it is ten years old. It has been driving this way for the last 50,000. Gave this to my sister and bought a honda, much happier.

good gas mileage