Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (37 reviews )

Over sold
By secrets

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We bought this car strictly for the fuel economy.
We were trading up from a 23mpg vehicle to a 40mpg car.
We have never gotten more tha 35mpg with an average of 30.1mpg.
I normally never buy new, and I will not buy a hybrid ever again.
Knowing then what i know now i would have bought the cheaper turbo model.
We are very disapointed with the MPG.

The sonota is a very good looking vehicle. I think the interior was well designed. I still think domestic cars are more comfortable. We like the exterior design best,

The only complaint we have is the gross misrepresentation of MPG. For that reason alone i will probably not buy a Hyndai again.

Has not delivered on mileage
By chauffeurboy

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased this vehicle as a replacement for a 2011 regular Sonata that was written off in an accident.
I thought this would be a good opportunity to take advantage of the potential fuel savings given that I commute 110 kms daily.

I cannot understate my disappointment.
My 2011 Sonata averaged 31mpg and my hybrid averaged 35 mpg.

I did a comparison of my fuel expenses and mileage.
Over a 26000km period I saved approximately 198 litres.
Based on todays gas prices of 1.14.9 this translates to an annualized savings of $227.00.
Over a 5 year period the savings is nowhere close to the $5,000 dollar premium I paid to purchase a hybrid.

Great hybrid owned it 1 year now
By gome1

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Great buy I have top of line loaded wht pearl /tan leather, glass roof best sunroof! 23 k miles on it I commute 45 miles daily average about 37mpg city & hwy combine ,40mpg traveling I drive normal some times on curies control I due use high octane fuel ,tire air pressure 35 psi ,syntitic oil every 3700 miles ,air filter every 15k.I get lots of compliments from friends & strangers asking what is it how nice.I owned Lexus Mercedes Cadilac BMW same quality so far for the money lots more to offer two many to list,example rear heated seats!

Best panoramic sunroof !

Drivers seat memory, automatic enter exit feature,electric tilt & telestopic steering column,Passenger power seat!

Awesome and It gets the MPG+
By hisliving

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I read all of the Edmunds review. In a very minor way, i saw a small bit ogf the "lurching". Nothing I would not have expected at all...very very minor. I proudly got 38.5 driving to and in the mountains. Upon return, I recevived 42.5 mpg due to less hilly route upon return. Best vehicle coice I have made. Price, value, MPG, comfort and style!! looks awesome!!!

Looks, comfort, MPG,

More user friendly navigation. My phone navigation seems easier to use, But I admit I have not read the manual!

Smooth Riding Hybrid That is Safe and Smooth
By ohio_pop

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have driving cars for over 45 years and this is the best car overall that I have owned.
I find the electronics intuitive.
It takes only a short time to learn the significance of the beeping signals from this car.
I found that after driving the car for about 10 days that I know how to apply gas for smooth as silk acceleration and how to brake smoothly.
Overall, I have found the car to be at its best and the most fun to drive on highways and suburban and rural roads where you can consistently drive over 35 MPH.
At constant speeds between 35 and 55 MPH, you can get 45+MPG.
The car gets more like 30-34MPG in stop-go slow speed driving.
Overall, I have averaged a bit over 40 MPG.

Good mileage, particularly for constant speeds above 35mph. Very comfortable seats Excellent people room, particularly for the driver and front passenger. Trunk space is very functional for luggage and groceries Environmental "Auto" controls are very effective - the car will not blast air that is too hot or too cold - it waits until the heater/cooler has gotten the air to the right temperature before blowing at high speed. I find the Bluetooth to be very effective for hand-free phone use.

No major detractions.