Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (47 reviews )

Worst car purchase decision I have ever made
By nohyndai

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had my hybrid sonata 3 months. It has just over 2000 miles on it and has been in for service twice. It has had all the recall fixes. The check engine light goes on and the dealership keeps claiming I am not tightening the gas cap. It also gets 18 mpg based on gas tank fillup.
I am terrified of getting rear-ended as the engine sputters out when on curved inclines when you deaccelarate. The engine
just cuts out. The closest Hyundai service department is 45 minutes away and they do not provide drop off service or loaner cars. So I have to take a day off of work, or drop the car off the previous evening and pay to rent a car. This is to remedy their errors!
A definite lemon.

Seat warmer is the best functioning feature.

Car stumbles engine wont engage sometimes
By s2them

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We loved our Sonata Hybrid until we pulled out and the engine didn't engage after getting out in the road under battery power,, Hyundai has not called me back when promised and unless they do something to fix situation ,i don't recommended this car maybe 5 years down the road after they have fixed the bugs,,just to Day they issued a new service bulletin on the connector to the computer

Ride,Seating,look

Fix the engine computer problem!!

The first Service corrected issues with shifting
By r_l_r

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I got my Sonata hybrid in May and was very happy with it.
The hesitancy in shifting between electric and gas motor at low speeds did not bother me.
I did not appreciate any difficulty with the brakes, which worked well in a couple of emergensy stopping situationa.
My mileage was in the 40+ mpG range.

I had the first service about a month ago,
Hyundai updated the computer hardware and software for free.
After the service there was absolutely no hesitancy in shifitng and the MPG increases to 43-48 MPG. I remain very satisfied with this car and feel that it has gotten better.

Bluetooth mileage smooth quiet ride ease of entry and exit comfortable drivers seat The entire electrical system worjs in a natural way

differrent upholestery, heated front seats

good car except for the mileage
By amcurtis1

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

love the car and the support from the dealer... except for the gas mileage. I have 5600 miles on it now and I have been getting 27-28 mpg combined with a 60/40 mix of highway/city miles. I try to not hit the gas to much or run the ac to hard.

Today I got my computer reprogrammed for the recall that was just issued hopefully this will fix the mpg to what was advertised.

I also came home to a letter informing me that hyundai is sending hybrid owners a $50 debit card for the recall inconvenience.

A well designed car outside of the gas mileage.

Improve precision of harder acceleration from a stop. When the gas engine kicks in it can be hard to keep the wheels from spinning if you are trying to pull out fast. fix the fuel mileage problem

Fun Car.... Already check engine light
By smooser

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My wife and I love this car...
Super fun to drive.
The mileage the computer was reporting was about 36 average at best.
Not bad.
After a month and a half the check engine light came on.
No problem... My wife took it in and the dealer said they fixed four recalls.
(she didn't get a work order from the dealer with the details, a little strange) Now the car averaged 41.5 MPG.
I was a little disappointed with the mileage, but that seems to be taken care of.
Over all, we love our purchase.
Hopefully we don't have a reoccurring check engine light problem.
That's precisely why I leased a hybrid.
Wait until the technology has become the norm in the market.