Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (46 reviews )

Like the car BUT...
By hasbro_t

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I like my Sonata but to give an honest sober review I have to start off saying it is not as billed on the showroom floor.
Sticker mentioned 37 MPG city when I bought it. I live in an area that gets well over 100 degrees in the summer and bought the car in June 2011.
This meant I used the A/C quite a bit. Right out the door with the A/C on and learning the feel of driving for economy I was getting about 25 mpg in the city month or so.
I did find however that with no climate control (or only turning it on when at cruising speed) and feathered driving I could get the 37 mpg after a while.
Any AC from dead stops and that dropped to 32.
Hyundai learned of the MPG issue and issued a software change that was intended to fix it.
On a routine service I had them update the S/W and Hyundai sent me a $50 gift card for my trouble.
I thought that was a good gesture, particularly since it did nothing to delay the normal service anyway.
After the S/W update the best MPG I can get is about 32 but on the bright side, it wasn’t effected by the climate control as badly.
I recently took it in for another service and the repair order mentions another S/W adjustment and now I haven’t been able to maintain an MPG above 29…Two software updates, two declines in gas mileage.
Haven’t had it back long enough to determine all the impacts of the change.
I might ask to see if they can set it back to original factory defaults.

Additionally, I have also experienced the problem mentioned in a couple of the below posts with the lurching.
When it was new, when stopped at red lights, if the gas engine clicked on at the stop, the car would lurch in a way that on a couple occasions, I looked into my rear view to see if I was rear ended.
Also, once when accelerating to pass a vehicle on the freeway, when I pressed the accelerator, the car actually momentarily slowed rather than increase speed immediately.
Again, this was at a point when it was running on EV mode and the accelerator caused it to shift to gas engine and the transition was not smooth and responsive, and potentially dangerous as noted in below posts. That only happened once and I don’t know if one of the S/W changes addressed it but Hyundai does need to acknowledge that issue.

That all being said, it sounds like a negative review and maybe it is but, at the end of the day, I do like my Sonata. It is comfortable for me, has a reasonably smooth ride and I knew when I bought it that this was the 1st model year of the Hybrid and I expected it as such to be working out some issues.
I’m sure the 2013 and beyond will have addresses much of these issues and become more refined.
With the differences in the software I have had, I can see why these reviews are all over the map. I suppose if I were to be honest to someone looking for a Sonata, I would tell them to look at the regular gas model first as really, the title “Hybrid” in the 2011 is really just a novelty rather than a benefit and Hyundai is making good somewhat with gas cards for the mileage discrepancy.

Like the Blue package and well equipped with bells and whistles for the price. I get gas about once a month now as opposed to 2 times with my Charger RT.

Pretty much spelled out in the review. I would however, move the emergency flasher button further from the power button.

Best Family Hybrid Sedan
By ohio_pop

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My family has 2 Sonata hybrid sedans because they are safe and fun to drive, get good fuel economy, handle well including braking and transition from EV to gas motor engaged.
The car has excellent power when it is needed because the electric motor can supplement the gas engine.
The Sonata hybrid has the most interior room of any hybrid sedan that cost less than $40,000.
I read the negative reviews from some and do not agree with them. The car's equipment, such as the excellent Bluetooth hand's free phone use, all work well.
The car's ride is very smooth and quiet.
In contrast to comment - the electric engine operates only at low speed, I found that the car will go into EV mode at 60+mph

interior room Bluetooth for phone use proximity sensening system for entry push button ignition extremely comfortable seating - I am a big guy - tall and stocky - and the driver seat is incredibly comfortable especially the head rest.

An option to purchase a rearview camera without having to get the entire navigation package. You can get an after-market rearview camera.

Very Disappointed
By j_m_m

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I was very disappointed with the Sonata Hybrid.
They advertise 40 mph highway, but I get about 32; the internal computer says I get about 35, though.
When I asked about the discrepancy between my actual fuel consumption and the sumputer's estimate, the dearship told me the computer was more accurate than the actual (not sure how that's possible).
The interior is also very constrictive and not comfortable for anyone over 6' for anything more than about 30 minutes.
The electric motor is very weak, only operating up until about 10 mph, and only kicking in after that during coasting.
The accelerator is also very unresponsive, sometimes taking up to two seconds to kick in.

Stylish exterior

More leg room in the driver's side well, additional telescopic distance for the steering wheel, have the electric motor operate up to at least 35 mph and provide some assist during cruise for speeds above 60 mph.

Still loving the Car after 1 year and 13,000 miles
By r_l_r

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

It has been the best car that I have ever owned (of 11 cars/minivans). My wife and I enjoy it so much that we bought a 2012 Sonata Hybrid with the leather package so that we can both drive a Sonata hybrid.

Safety - This is the highest importance.
The car has excellent crash safety ratings.
More important is that it handles/maneuvers extremely well. It has a large amount of power to get you out of danger fast: passing, merging into traffic or accelerating rapidly from a stop to avoid a distracted driver who is barreling into an intersection. Shifing at low speed is smooth after initial computer update.
MPG - 42+ overall
Comfort - spaceous interior
I could not be happier with this car.

Standard intelligent Bluetooth that truly provides handsfree phone use. Very comfortable seats - best headrest that I ever experienced Smooth quiet ride - allows adults to arrive from a long trip relaxed and rested and the children can sleep in their carseats. Seats 5 adults or 3 adults and 2 children in car seats or any combination. Climate control is excellent with extra vents for heating or cooling passengers in the back. Overall car control - maneuvering and braking are very controlled. I feel very much in control and safe driving this car. Proximity detection and keyless ignition work very well. The car communicates with different chimes to tell you that you need to do.

I like to think that I that the letter I wrote influenced Hyundai to offer a leather package - so that one can get heated leather seats without having to get the entire navigation package. Now that the 2012 comes with a leather package, I cannot think of anything else to improve.

Stumble start problem,,My biggest mistake!!
By ecube

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The car did great except city MPG worst than they say in city.. My wife and I had 2 near accidents because the engine didn't kick in after we pulled out in front of people on highway,,Dealer Crain in Little rock was the worst,, told us nothing then went home and a lot are having these problems and Hyundai doesn't stand by their cars,,unless you can be at the dealership instead of at work getting paid,,We spent 3 trips trying to fix car and another to replace part.. Warranty doesn't mean crap if you are there every 2 weeks..BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

engine should engage when pulling in front of people wheres the 206 hp not the small electric motor to get you there,we had to stop in the middle of highway put in park wait 10 seconds to restart the computer..Every light was blinking on dash!!! scary ,,my wife was scared to death!!!