Used 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Not a perfect Hundai but I would buy it again
By cecelia swainston

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had many close calls not being able to see cars and/or pedestrians because of the wide trim by the front windshield and side mirror. It is a hazardous obstacle.

Love to Steer
By Rob Buckman

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/Saddle Interior (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, we love this 6-passenger car that allow folding down of all the seats (except) front for some extreme cargo space. It drives and handles extremely well...when it lets you. We all make hundreds of minor steering adjustments every few minutes to correct for lane drift, bumps in the road, wind, etc. Occasionally, at speeds above 35mph, this car decides it wants to lock the steering wheel straight. Not so much that you can't turn it, but it takes extra effort. It gets exhausting over the course of a long trip...and is an obvious safety concern. The navigation system is not easily updated and it is expensive to do so.

Update July 2016. I now believe the steering issue was related to a fading battery. After replacing the battery two months ago, the steering issue has not returned. This may be plausible for Hyundai's electric steering. I'm increasing the safety rating from 3 to 4 stars. Other safety concerns are are large front-quarter blind spots and weak headlights. I'm increasing the overall rating from 4 to 5 stars because all the other places where I didn't give 5 stars are acceptable.

New owner :)
By Lori

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very happy with my purchase. I really wanted an SUV that accelerated a little slower to keep me out of trouble. :) Im averaging about 28.3 MPG, very quiet car even with eco on. I love how this vehicle handles - I feel more in control! Brakes handle nicely, I use comfort steering which is fantastic, turn is great, parking is super easy. Had a smaller SUV (Escape 4cyl) before this one and it did not handle like this - that car sucks compared to this (personal opinion). Though there are some rear blind spots, the rear view camera makes up for it. The heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, bluetooth audio and panoramic sunroof are definitely a HUGE bonus. I feel safe, comfortable and can make it to and from work with ease. EXTREMELY HAPPY!

beware if buying for your kids to ride in
By samuel E.

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I first bought a Hyundai sonata 2011 which was fair in function considering the cost so I decided to change to the Santa Fe 2.0T
I bought this Santa Fe for my wife and our two girls then 4 and 5yrs old.
First problem was when one of the rare seat beat got locked up in my daughter's car seat as she tried to unlock the seal belt so she could get out of the car while we were in the garage no matter how hard we tried we could not get it released and in fact it got more tightened across her belly to the point she started foaming. Eventually we had to do the inevitable, cut the seat belt to free our daughter.
When we took it to the dealership ,they played it down until I told them I was not as stupid as they may think. After fixing it for us the problem persisted when I took it back they were trying to force me to believe that was how a seat belt was suppose to work. For heaven sake, I have own 12 yr old VW and the belt worked better. As a result we had to place a scissors in the car and for 6 months my 4yr old did not want to sit in that car.
The winter was the worse periods because I had to pull on the seat belt and adjust it several times before getting it to work in the cold freezing winter.
I paid over $ 550 monthly as lease payment to endure such brutality from Hyundai.
There were so many other customer service problems with this vehicle from Hyundai America to the local dealership including transmission breakdown that the least said the better.
I decided to add a little more $200 to get an Acura MDX and I feel liberated. NEVER again will I spend my hard earned dollars on a Hyundai.
The cost savings is not worth the dangerous risk . What if we were at a shopping mall parking lot and my little darling got stuck and foamed to death as she was choking.

LOST at the Bakery!!
By Mika Scott

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

OMG! Hyundai should be sued over their PATHETIC navigation package, this thing sucks like you wouldn't believe!!! But... with this car, it's almost required because without the use of the back-up camera you can't see behind you AT ALL!! I bought my car in August 2013 and the maps were horrible then; completely outdated! I was told by Roger Beasley Hyundai in Kyle, TX says that I would be able to upgrade my maps anytime for $79, apparently up until now there was NO map upgrade!! It's now October 2015 and the dealer McLoughlin Hyundai in Milwaukie, OR says I have to pay $300 to get the maps upgraded and there is NO way for them to download any of my markers I've loaded into maps, so the 50 or so plus sites I've marked in the navigation package will be lost forever!! I mean this is pathetic people! So I'm to believe that Hyundai is so completely technically inept that they cannot figure out how to upgrade the maps without erasing all your data. And to top it off the original Nav package just sucked so utterly, it was pathetic! I'm worried about other things now, if they can't figure out a Nav package, what else did they screw up!! I like the rest of the car, but the Nav package is such an important part of the car, it just ruins everything that would have been good about this car!!