Used 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Transmissions.. a re-occuring theme?
By zoeykids

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After repeatedly complaining about the jerking shift on our 2010 SF, the dealership finally replaced the transmission.
The replacement was okay for a while, but it seemed as soon as the cooler weather hit, we started having a new problem.
Now the vehicle seems to shift "down" when coasting in lower gears.
Now the downshift is accentuated by "missing", causing the engine to red-line when attempting to overtake another vehicle attempting 15kpm speed increase.
Waiting to hear ... again ... how Hyundai will be resolving this.
The SF has 45K on it.
Our previous vehicles had 250+km and 350+km on original drive trains.
This is not what I was looking for in a new vehicle.

We bought a 2010 Santa Fe after being very pleased with dh's 2010 Elantra Touring. The vehicle is pretty much exactly what we were looking for, except for the transmissions problems.

Fix the transmission problems.

Six Month Review: Overall Not Bad At All
By bobbichen

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this as a preowned unit with about 22k on it, last June.
Initially, I had transmission issues like most spoke of.
I was advised that the upgraded fluid had been installed at build.
I had to go through several rounds of software "flash" upgrades before the harsh shifting calmed down.
It still is there a bit in 2nd and 3rd, but is much better.
Overall, this is a terrible vehicle to buy new but for late model used, purchased at wholesale, it is actually quite good.
If the tranny fails I have a five year warranty and I drive about 7.5k a year so I'm not worried about miles.
Interior is quite good, stereo very decent, and leather seats are comfy.
Gas milege mediocre.

Leather seats, stereo, storage compartment in rear floor.

Transmission is rough and this needs to be a focus area. Engine is more powerful than it needs to be. 210 to 220 hp would be fine for most purposes and would improve mileage. Vehicle is a bit overpowered with a 275 hp V6 like some others in this general category (including Rav 4). Stereo speakers are a weak point with Hyundai in my opinion. A few extra dollars in this area would yield big improvements in sound quality most likely.

TOTAL LEMON!!!
By doraimon

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2010 Santa Fe V6, full option, last year.
I've been having problems from the start. I noticed a violent jerk and sounded like my transmission fell off.
I took it in to the dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong.
My wife drives the Santa Fe, and the engine shut down on her twice.
When we took it to the dealer, he gave us a rental for a week while they test drove it.
Again, they didn't find anything wrong with it. Last month, when I was driving, I was making a left turn and when I stepped on the gas, the car was not moving, only the engine revved up. I hope people read this and never buy this crap.
I am Korean-American and I will NEVER buy Korean crap again. Thank you.

A regret customer
By dolphin39

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am blaiming myself for buying a Hyundai vechnicle. Needless to say the bad transmission and poor mileage that a lot of customers having on this forum, my less than one year old 2010 Sante Fe refuse to start one night, and put me into a cold night waiting for more than 2 hours to have their 24 hr road side assitance to tow my car to a nearest dealship. On the way, the tow truck guy of CAA telling me that he had been faced the same problem lately and feel sorry for me to have a Hynduai with such a nonreliable quality and poor service.

So my advice for everyone who intend to buy a Hyundai vechnicle: Look somewhere else and stay away of it!

Traded my 2010 Sante Fe - defective transmission
By khh8

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am so sorry to say, I no longer could live w/ the transmission issues w/ my 2010 sante fe & got rid of it.
My initial problems within two months of purchasing:
bucking everytime I turned on the car & slamming/thumping into 2nd & 3rd gear w/ slow acceleration and also experienced a hesitation of shifting between 2nd & 3rd. Been
to the
dealership numerous times & they reset my transmission once.
They were able to fix the bucking when the car is turned on.
Then took it back for the original problems resurfaced within a few hundred miles.
Then they "couldn't duplicate" the issues & told me 'till they can there is nothing for them to do - as if I am making all this up.

BUYERS BEWARE!

Stand behind your product, if my dealership would have addressed/fixed my issues I would still be driving the car. Last straw was when my drivers side window started to rattle (like it was gonna break when shutting the door) & I was told "that's how the 2010s are" & they were not going to fix it. Boo.