Used 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

Used Santa Fe for Sale
Select your model:
12345...21

Pros
Cons

Decent Crossover but lots of issues so far

davnator, 06/29/2011
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the 2009 GLS for 2 years now so I have a good history of issues and values for the car. The good is that it offers a lot for the price of the vehicle. Three of the four main issues with it have been covered under warranty. The ride for the GLS model is exceptionally smooth and handles city bumps without issue. I live in the north and it handles snow and drifts without issue (but is not good on ice). Issue one, the ignition system failed and the ignition in the steering column had to be replaced. Issue two, a sensor that acccelerates the car when you step on the gas failed. Issue three, the link stabilizer failed. Issue four, rust on the back hatch - Hyundai wont fix it

Great Crossover!

Jeff F., 09/04/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned 2 Santa Fes. The first was an 03 gls which was bought used with 165,000 miles on it. We have owned it for 3 yrs with the only expense being an altenator(500.00)and brakes. It has been very dependable,so much so,our son is now driving it as his first vehicle. The 2nd,an used 09 limited. So far we are in love with this vehicle. Not only larger,it is more nimble,much more room,and the safety features are 2nd to none. We had it 1yr and wouldnt trade it for anything. It does all its asked to do,from camping trips to the grocery trips. It's very comfortable and fun to drive. An excellent vehicle.

Paint Peels

stewpop, 08/04/2014
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2009 Santa Fe based on consumer Reports ratings and the fact that we got over 200,000 miles on the last Hyundai Sonata. We have over 90,000 miles on this one and it has been a good value except for 2 major points. One, the accelerator stuck in the idle position, which is the default instead of unintended acceleration. The other is the paint peeled off the hood and the roof right above the windshield. Even though it was only 2.5 years old, since it had 50,000 miles on it warranty did not cover it. $1600 paint job. The money we saved by buying Hyundai we really did not save. You get what you pay for...

Great Value for an SUV

jerseyan, 01/07/2012
GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 2009 GLS 2.7L AWD. I went from a 4wd Silverado to the SUV with no regrets. My major construction days are done, and driving around paying a fortune for fuel with an empty truck bed 94% of the time seemed like a good reason to let it go. I wanted a new vehicle, without breaking the bank. I opted for the GLS vs. the upscale version not because of affordability, but it had all I needed, why pay more for the more expensive model? It came with the hands free Bluetooth and I added a trailer hitch for those occasional trips to the home centers. The roof racks and crossbars came with the vehicle, but if I had to purchase them, how often do you travel with items on the roof? The 3.3L engine to me wasn’t worth the added cost. The 2.7L has more than enough power, and with the AWD and autoshift, it is excellent in the snow. I have averaged on the highway anywhere from 18 to almost 24mpg. For a vehicle this size I feel it is pretty good. The newer models claim to get 28. Some reviews have said the cabin noise is loud with the windows down. I think most cars at 70mph with the windows down have a lot of cabin noise. Adding air deflectors / vent visors around the windows helps keep the air noise to a minimum when the windows are open. Financing all those add on items over time adds up. When you buy a vehicle you are paying a ton in interest for the mud flaps, fog lights, cargo cover, etc. being somewhat handy, I buy the aftermarket items as I can afford them, or get them on e-bay at a reduced price. As far as resale, after five years it’s a moot point after that, and if you plan on keeping a vehicle 7 to 10 years, who really cares about resale? At 26,000 miles, I have had no major problems, and have not been back to the dealer for any repairs. Changing the oil, filters, rotating tires at regular intervals for any vehicle, along with regular maintenance is key to longevity of any vehicle. If you’re looking for more power, heavy towing, or going from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds, this isn’t the vehicle for you. The Santa Fe is a great all around vehicle, quiet, comfortable, elegant and has plenty of storage, with the seats down it is more than adequate. It handles bad weather like a walk in the park. Hyundai is underrated, and is a very versatile all-around vehicle. This SUV is very capable of handling rough, gravel, dirt, muddy and off the beaten path roads. It will hold your camping gear, ski’s, golf clubs, kids, soccer gear, and is able to tow your ski doodles, motorcycles or trailerable items such as moving furniture for your kids. If you are looking to cross over 12” streams, boulders, tow a 40 foot Chris Craft, and drive across the Appalachian Trail, go purchase a Jeep or adequately equipped pickup. Or if you want to be gone in 60 seconds the minute the light changes green why are you looking at a Santa Fe?

Well worth the money

R Scott, 07/27/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2009 and have only had to do routine maintenance from day 1. Tires, batteries, alignments, wipers, etc. One engine oil leak onto alternator repaired under warranty at no cost. Highly recommend the 3.3 V-6 engine...Has provided outstanding service. Would buy again..

12345...21