Used 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 160 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Beware! Do NOT buy a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe.
By North Carolina Hyundai Owner

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe for two years, and four times it has spontaneously stalled in the middle of the road (no gas, no power brakes, no power steering). It is a terrifying experience and a potentially life-threatening safety hazard. Because this is an intermittent issue, no mechanic or dealership has been able to replicate the issue over the short periods of time that they drive the vehicle, and they've therefore said there is nothing they can do. We reached out to Hyundai Corporate, and they put us through a hellish month and a half long process to finally tell us that because the dealer couldn't replicate the problem (which we told them in the first place), they won't assist in diagnosing and repairing the issue. The process was particularly frustrating because our assigned case manager never answered a single one of our countless phone calls or responded to any of the numerous voicemails we left her - it really felt like they were intentionally ignoring us and making the process more difficult so that we would give up. We have found many similar complaints about '08 Santa Fes online (and a class action lawsuit that Hyundai settled regarding the 2010-2012 Santa Fes - different model year, same generation - for the exact same issue we were experiencing), indicating that this is a problem inherent to the design of this vehicle. I will NEVER buy another Hyundai again due to the horrendous customer service, and would strongly advise anyone considering a Hyundai to avoid this manufacturer at all costs and avoid the fear and frustration we've had to deal with. I know a selling point of Hyundai is the warranty, but I will warn you that you do not want to deal with their customer service department.

Best buy!
By Christy

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our santa fe used off of an older gentleman whose wife had passed away and it was her car. It had 39000 miles on it when we purchased it and 5 years later it is still going strong with 140000 miles on it. It has been hit by deer and a few horses and the insurance company wouldn't total it so we had repairs done and keep on going. Everything still works great on it, just like it did when we first purchased it except for the gas gauge doesn't always but as far as dependability it definitely has our vote! Would highly recommend! We travel a lot with our kids for sports and never had any problems!

A great car!
By ethan

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Hyundai Santa Fe for two years and it is at 204,000 miles with no signs of giving up anytime soon! I got it with about 161,000 miles and was a little concerned because I hadn't had a car with that many miles on it but I took a chance. The ride is good and even after 200,000 miles, it has a ton of power. I haven't had any issues with the car either. The only issue I've had is with the gas tank sensor, so I have to go off of my milage to get an estimate of how much gas I have, but most Santa Fe's of my year have that problem.

Worse car I've ever owned
By Tim G

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So many problems I hope I can remember them all.At 33k miles I started having problems with the vehicle shutting off when trying to accelerate from a complete stop.Not a great problem to have when turning in front of oncoming traffic.After many days Hyundai finally found a pin loose under the dash and also a bad catalytic converter.At 45k the fuel level sensor went bad causing a inaccurate fuel gauge.At 49k a new stalling problem started.When slowing down all the engine and all electrical would shutdown forcing me to drift to the side of road and attempt to restart.That was the last straw in my Hyundai nightmare.I promptly traded the lemon in and couldn't be happier having something reliable now.Will never purchase a Hyundai ever again or suggest buying one to a friend or family member.

Great Suv
By e, comer

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My family and I are pretty pleased with our purchase. The suv is roomy but also small enough to handle & park easily. We love it. We had an easy time purchasing the auto from the dealer but the dealer once we went off the lot didn't care what happened after that. We had two incidents happen as we drove off the lot and one has not been addressed yet by them... yet they state that the autos go thru a 37 pt inspection. Will probably not buy from this dealership again, but will definitely buy another Suv like this one as we are enjoying it.