Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

Used Santa Fe for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...88

Pros
Cons

Nine years and 150,000 miles later.....

cshaw22, 09/04/2013
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Santa Fe new in 2004. After 150,000 miles, it has spent more time broken than any car I have ever owned. Since new we have replaced the crank sensor 6 times, the throw-out bearing grenaded taking the clutch with it, the radiator disintegrated, the cat converter burned out, the power steering pump shaft broke, etc,etc. The tranny has been solid as many times I was able to restart by downshifting and popping the clutch which made the tranny scream but got me to the house. I bought an extended warranty which paid for itself many times over. It rides and drives great but breaks down too often. No longer my daily driver, but still my beater as it hauls a lot of stuff, when it runs.

Disappointed

Disappointed, 05/23/2009
LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 18 months, having bought it used with 20,500 miles on it.It now has 49,000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealership from having the transmission replaced. The check engine light, is always on, and it didn't fail me today, 8 miles from the dealership (where they also fixed a vacuum problem to correct the CEL), it was on again. I had high hopes for this car, but after being in the dealership at least 8 times in 18 months (CEL and tranny issues), I no longer have any hopes for it. Although I love the style and size, it gets fairly decent gas mileage and it rides nice, those things just do not make up for the mechanical problems and being w/o my car.

Great

Ric Riel, 11/15/2003
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

A great ride with the peace of mind of a great warranty. Has get up and go and was a pleasant drive on our 4000 mile vacation this summer. Zipped up the mountains of the northeast and flew thru the highways of the south. I'm hooked for life.

Santa Fe vs. Escape

Bridge, 02/14/2004
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I spent three weeks doing our homework on small SUV'S. Our criteria were mpg, monthly payments, and quality. We had a great deal for the Escape, but eventually decided on purchasing the Santa Fe due to a much classier/comfortable interior and a greater list of overall standard options. Seating in the Hyundai was much more comfortable and plush. In the end, we have a much higher quality vehicle with a stronger warranty. Hyundai apparently is following Honda's initial footsteps by increasing quality or losing the American market. Five years ago, I would not have even considered a Hyundai.

Hyundai still surprises me

snowman_201, 01/03/2005
GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 Hyundai's so far. I keep waiting for something bad to happen to them like everyone wants. All I know is this, I buy them because of their ausume warranties and never have to take them in... It's crazy, I've owned Lincolns, Cadillacs, even a 328 BMW. The only vechicle that can compare to the quality of my Hyundai are my Toyotas. Reliability the same, great, but Toyota quality still tops the list with Lexus. But, my Tundra 4 door 4x4 cost almost twice what my wife's Santa Fe cost.... You do the math.....

12345...88