Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Disappointed
By Disappointed

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 18 months, having bought it used with 20,500 miles on it.It now has 49,000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealership from having the transmission replaced. The check engine light, is always on, and it didn't fail me today, 8 miles from the dealership (where they also fixed a vacuum problem to correct the CEL), it was on again. I had high hopes for this car, but after being in the dealership at least 8 times in 18 months (CEL and tranny issues), I no longer have any hopes for it. Although I love the style and size, it gets fairly decent gas mileage and it rides nice, those things just do not make up for the mechanical problems and being w/o my car.

Fun to drive. Feel safe in winter. Lots of cargo room. Heated leather seats, power heated mirrors.

Better mechanical quality. Reduce road noise - have to have radio loud to drown it out. Rear seats should lie flat when folded down.

Tried and true friend!
By Lisa

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my car four years, 25,000 miles. It has always been reliable, never one problem. I was in an accident two years ago and had the front-end rebuilt. I anticipated problems, and still nothing! I traded cars for a day recently, and I really missed my sweet little Santa Fe! I do mostly city driving, but did take a road trip (10 hours each way) to the desert. She was a stellar off-road performer.

What I love: very reliable, lots of storage room so it's great for hauling things around, smaller SUV so still easy to park in parking lots, I like the look, has held up well.

Acceleration takes awhile (had a BMW before this, so maybe I'm spoiled); gas mileage was less than I had hoped (under 20 mi. gallon); tends to float down the road like a boat (I like this as I like to feel the road under the car, but seems to have a sway, doesn't drive like a responsive sports car).

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
By ANDREW

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I love this vehicle. Great value for the money. We got it new from factory only 6 miles on it. Great for traveling and long trips. We have auto transmission, as well as the space is great especially for a man who is bigger like me. It has some pep for a 4 cyl and gas mi is about what I'd expect. It even comes with a 1st aid kit and full size spare is great. I get regular oil changes and have not had one major issue except for the common ones.. Tires, brakes etc. Would not trade my vehicle in for anything. Got extended warranty (value?) for 7/100.

Antenna, luggage rack, individual fold down seats, back 12V carrier and also all the space available, mileage good. Automatic windows and mirrors work great. Radio CD player ok, rear cup holders.

Tire wear. Tires that came standard wore down real quick (30000). But new tires work great. Brake went too but had them replaced and worked fine. NO other problems

Lived to tell about it!!!
By Jana

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Recently my daughter and I were in an accident with my 2004 Santa Fe which I was the driver my daughter the passenger. 3 vehicles were involved all of which were totaled off. The driver of the vehicle which hit us lost control and landed on my Santa Fe and rolled off, literally tearing open the drivers side and pushing us into another vehicle which stopped us from rolling into traffic.The accident reconstruction police team visited us at the hospital at which time they told us that had we been in any other vehicle the chances of the accident being fatal would have been much higher as the Santa Fe is designed to crumble around us in an accident and has the best accident ratings.Thank you Hyundai!

I had never had any problems with my Santa Fe, it was incredible on gas, very comfortable and roomy, we bought this vehicle for safety as we have to commute to work from outside of the city

None, I loved everything about my Santa Fe.

Problems with Blower Control Knob
By Chris K

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I actually like my 2004 Santa Fe which I purchased new back in May of 2004. I have a problem that I cannot resolve. Each year I have a problem with my blower control knob. The blower starts to run only on one level and eventually stops altogether. It has cost me several hundred dollars each time I have had this fixed only to be back in the same situation the next year. Right now I have been only able to use my heat or A/C on high because it won't work on any other level. Thanks, TOO HOT OR TOO COLD