Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 438 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Chirp has always served me well!
By catt33

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, I named my Santa Fe "Chirp". It has been a great vehicle. I bought it used in 06 and until this year, only needed routine maintenance (Crank Shaft Sensor went out in March). I just rolled over to 90,000 miles last week and I am looking forward to many more miles with Chirp!

Just enough cargo space - I can fit a deflated Select Comfort Queen Size Mattress in the back!

I do wish that ABS had been standard for this model year and the driver's seat could push back a bit further - my 6'3" boyfriend is very cramped driving this vehicle.

Sensor Issues
By incubritt2010

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Santa Fe with 68,000, and after 4 other lemons before that, I figured this car would be my knight in shining armor.
So, naturally, the transmission went out 6 months after I bought it. Now a year and half later, it just wouldn't start one day.
Long story short, I've now replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and low and behold, this morning I went to start it and its running crappy still and trying to die on me, obviously not trustworthy.
The mechanics are stumped, and so am I.
If this happens to you, the code reads, "Fuel temp sensor", get ready for a domino effect of electrical problems that mechanics won't be able to pinpoint.

I do love this car, it's very sharp looking and comfortable, but unreliable. I take very good care of my car, and take it for routine oil changes and mainentance, so it's very dissapointing.

Best car I've ever had
By Bruce

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My six year old Santa Fe has 150,000 miles on it and it still has the original BF Goodrich tires on it, original front brakes. I replaced the rear pads and rotors in March 2010. I have always used synthetic oil and have had no problems with the engine at all. Average 22 MPG. I have had two problems. I have replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs four or five times, and the car has developed a short in the electronic odometer. Otherwise, I have had no problems with this car and have spent next to nothing on it.

A little more pep in the smaller V6 engines.

Dead car in middle of freeway
By woman

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A few days ago my car lost all power while driving on the freeway at night. The car has been acting up now for about 5 months, maybe more. while driving, sometimes, with my foot on the accelerator the car looses all RPM then after about three seconds it comes back to normal. It happens all over, on the freeway to neighborhoods at 10 miles an hour. But A few days ago at night the car did its no RPM thing then died. all lights turned on. And now, two mechanics shops cannot tell what is wrong with it. (one had a reading about transmission) but then the transmission place can't get the same reading.

Best Car ever owned
By Westpalmer

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I mentioned Hyundai to some guys I get the rolling eyes and the standard remarks, cheap, non performing, low ratings etc. I bought my Santa Fe new after much fighting with my hubby who wanted me to buy anything but that. Well, my car has a 155,000 miles and other than regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance (which I performed faithfully at the dealership), the only out of warranty repair I had was a new battery at 101,000 miles and a broken power steering container at 107,000 miles. It's a perfect vehicle for busy families. It's comfortable in the front and back and the back holds plenty of luggage and supplies. The money I saved was used on vacations with my family!

Size, gas mileage, easy handling, comfortable driving, lots of space front and back. Heated seats (for those PMS days), cargo room when seats folded down fits full size plywood sheet flat, low insurance (good safety rating).

Audio system could have been better quality.