Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 440 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

I can't wait to trade in my Santa Fe
By Shane

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would not recommend buying this vehicle. The car has many leaks such as the power steering fluid and the A/C refrigerant. I constantly am buying more fluid for the car. Every summer I have to recharge the A/C. My headlights are faded and my car is slightly rusted. The seats aren't very supportive. The dealer offers $816 to trade it in. The car does not get very good fuel economy. I hate my Santa Fe

My "new" old ride
By Melanie Altmeyer

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this suv so far. I've had it about 1 month. It looks and rides like a brand new car and one that would cost a lot more. No one believed me when I told them my "new" car was actually 13 years old. It only had 50,000 miles on it, so with Hyundai 100,000 warranties, I'm hoping to have it for a very long time. It has great acceleration and gas mileage. The seats and ride are very comfortable. Only thing I don't like is the wind noise when windows are down and moonroof is open. I'm hoping window vent guards will help.

Too big for just me
By Linda Richards

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My car drive's great. Easy to park.Sits up higher than a car,so visibility is great. The back seat has a stow away Childs seat. It's just me now that my husband passed away and the kids are all grown up. So I want to down size.

Still strong
By Jay

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot really give a long term review as I have had the same 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe since new and I only have 77 thousand miles on it. I live on Oahu so travel is short no matter where you go. I commute 16 miles a day and have every day since I owned it. I did replace the power steering pump that seems to be a Hyundai problem that is fairly common, serpentine belt which is just good maintenance and proper oil and fluid changes to transmission, power steering and brakes and cooling.

The cabin has one flaw, the plastic dash and various parts chirp from bad fits and lack of insulation. Always has been that way. Other than that, I keep it covered both at home in a car port and in an underground garage and always have, perhaps that is why I have no paint issues at all. I hand wash it and always have since Oahu has no public spray wash booths, this seems to have given the paint a long lease on life. The only real issue is that it is realiable enough to get bored with it after so many years. To add, I have since traded the car, but I did have ongoing front end issues, alignment, and knocking and rattling of bushing or parts became very noticable due to age and the repairs costing more than the value of the vehicle. It was a solid, basic transport that ran great and reliably, but did have other suspension issues.

160,000 miles and going strong
By A. Non

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I have owned since brand new that has even come close to having over 150,000 miles on it and still runs. To date, other than preventative maintenance and normal wear and tear, I've had the following problems: At 40k miles, a torn CV joint boot (warranty repair); At 60k miles the timing belt required replacement per scheduled maintenance ($600 @ dealership, including water pump and belt tensioner as precautionary replacements); At 130k miles replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner again a little late to schedule ($300 by family mechanic); At 152,000 miles the switch for the cruise control broke ($30 / 15 minute repair by myself); At 155,000 miles the alternator war replaced (2 hours, $275 parts/labor at a local shop). When you think about it, the alternator was really wear and tear as they do not last forever. And that's it. 160k miles and about $300 worth of repairs, $30 if you exclude the alternator.

I maintain it religiously and take care of little things before they become big things. We've gotten our money's worth from this vehicle and then some. We don't off-road it or mistreat it, but it is not pampered by any means.