Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 251 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

GREAT CAR for the money....
By Good Car

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am only 16 years old and this was my first car and I bought a 2002 Hyundai sante fe and I bought it used at 60,000 miles and for about 6,200. I was hoping to get an suv because I have to drive about 2 hours each weekend during the winter through the snow and this car holds up really well, I don't have the all wheel drive version but even just the 2 wheel drive does really well. Its great in snow and rain. Another reason I got this car is because for an suv it has pretty good gas mileage. Its a good car pretty cheap and I love I highly recommend it. The only thing I could complain about is how when I go over 70 the wheel shakes but that has happened since I had the car. But great car!

Gas mileage for an SUV, reliable, looks outside, cozy on the inside, small SUV on the outside, but plenty of room on the outside.

Acceleration and that's about it. It takes a little while to get up to speed, and makes a good noise trying to get up to speed too.

Could have been built better
By pfehrman

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The assumption that a car must be good based on a 100,000 mile warranty is faulty; especially when it does not transfer to a new owner. I purchased this vehicle from a dealer, used, and then was told it needed $2,000.00 worth of required maintenance to keep from voiding the warranty. After that I had constant problems with the brakes, and transmission. Coming back from Florida one time, the car began to buck and jerk for more than 400 miles. We took it to a couple of places and were told that it was a transmission sensor. After paying many hundreds of dollars for repairs, we still are having transmission type issues, along with a brake fluid leak, and other continued brake issues.

None

Better built car. Mechanically, it stinks, and the exterior scratches way too easily. The car was not worth the money spent on it.

100,000 miles without a single problem
By fonixkween

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I commute over a mountain and have had to successfully navigate through black ice, snow, steep terrain, suicidal deer, and drunken drivers. My Santa Fe just hit 100,000 miles and I have had ZERO problems. My factory tires lasted 60,000 miles (my friend who drives a European car over the same roads had to get new tires at 30,000 miles). My car has started, dependably, each and every time. It has the power to tackle steep roads (and with the Shiftronic Transmission) it is hell-a-fun to drive. I once raced another friend (who drove a Miata) over the mountain, and my Santa Fe handled the curves better than her little car. Great Car!!! Comfy cloth seats!! I'm so glad I own it.

I love the Shiftronic -- makes it very fun to drive. My cloth seats are more comfortable than any leather seats I have ever sat on. And they are very durable -- after seven years of kids and dogs, they are immaculate.

Exterior is a bit funky. The newer models look much cleaner.

Great car for the money and tough
By william

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Only problem we have ever had was the visor breaking, other than that nothing. We do change oil and do all the pm to the car. The dealer has been great to deal with as well. Just like with anything take care of it and it will take care of you.

the back seat leg room

better roof rack

The Best
By Sue Smith

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This auto gave on the average 23 mpg and many times 28 mpg. The comfort and, performance was great for a 6 cyl. vehicle. Will be buying another within 1-2 years!

No bounce or roughness in the ride at all. Seating was a contour fit that made long driving a pleasure.