Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Pleasantly Surprised
By Thomas Lindsey

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2001 just a couple months after the release. Today, I have 89,000 miles on it and I have been pleased with it's performance over the last 7 years. I've been to the dealer for only a few minor problems, the last and biggest was the power steering pump which was covered under my extended warranty. I've been pleased by the total package; AWD, comfort, reliability, performance, etc. I know this car doesn't do any one thing extremely well, but it does everything pretty darn well. It's well-rounded and solid. My only real complaint has been the paint. I feel like the color coat is about 1mm thick. It's fading, scratches MUCH too easily, and no clear coat of which to speak.

Decent AWD, traction control, multitude of features for a small sticker price, roomy for class, warranty 100k bumper to bumper (paid 800 dollars, and it's hit or miss on what's covered...mostly hit though)

Features+low price= hit on build quality. Everything is pretty chintzy interior and exterior. Wheel badges are held on by double sided tape, paint is thin and cheap, interior is basic, plastic that won't hold up to too much abuse, engine is gutless. It's not bad, just not great.

Best Car I've Owned in Years
By SVC

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

In 155000 miles I have replaced the drivers side sun visor, the rear hatch locking mechanism and the drivers side seat heater. That's the end of the list. Our Santa Fe consistently gets 24 MPG highway while delivering a comfortable ride and good handling. This car has been very well maintained so it still looks great and runs great. Probably the most "bang for the buck" that I have ever gotten in an automobile. I expect to get at least another 100k miles on this car.

heated seats, auto dimming rearview mirro, the AWD system has always worked great, surprising amount of leg room in the back seat (even for my 6'- 3" son)

More powerful engine (I know that this has been done in the newer models), softer leather, slightly longer wheel base (improve the ride), better insulation to cut done on the road/wind noise

Not a high quality car for road in Boston
By ambi

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car from 35K mile to 65K mile. It was OK when I drove it in Texas with the smooth high ways. But it has been giving me problems since I moved to Boston. I need to replace the battery, ball joint, rear suspension, master brake cylinder. The CD player always turn it self on/off when I'm driving on a bumpy road, which seems to be everywhere in Boston. I plan to sell this car now after driving in Boston for one year.

Although it has small problems, it never broke down on the road. So reasonably reliable. Good fuel economy consider its weight. Brake pads last forever. Ample cargo space and rear seat space.

Make it more rugged for old roads like the ones in Boston.

noisey? no power, guzzler
By julie crowley

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i love my santa fe, believe it or not from the title. But it has no acceleration to speak of and is very noisey. It drinks petrol and costs me a fortune to keep. although it got me through 2foot flood water with no problems at all recently.

comfort and gadgets

more power. less noisey

Awesome Vehicle!
By Lori

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in 2001. I have kept up with all suggested maintenance, and have never had any problems whatsoever. It looks and drives just like it did the day I bought it. I absolutely love it and will most likely buy another one when the time comes. I have recommended this SUV to many friends who have wound up buying their own and are just as happy as I am. Buy it!

Drives just like a car. Solid and comfortable. Has been very reliable.

Steering wheel design could be a little better - not a big deal.