Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Wow, I got the dream car...
By Happy In LaVerne

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Perhaps I ended up buying the exception to the rule, but I couldn't be happier. 2WD, gets 23 mpg with a 6cyl engine, beefy enough that I feel I could survive an accident, yet small enough to fit into a compact parking space. Hit the accelerator hard, and it takes a good moment to get up to speed, but once there, purrs like a kitten. Really roomy back seats, handy liftback with window opening, plus enough 12v plugs to keep everyone's gizmo charged and running. There are some little bugs - the back ashtray/catchall and cup holder has decided to give up the ghost, but the heater's nice and toasty, and the heated mirrors mean I can see what's around me.

Heated side mirrors, both very large, rear wiper is almost like a happy puppy wagging a tail.

Electronics probably needed a bit more considerations all in all, but likely improved in later models.

Nice to look at, but oh my....
By Carol

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Aug 2001 and 2 weeks later, leaking evaporator killed A/C during the heat of S. FL summer. At 100K miles, have replaced more major parts than I can recall, including 2 failed alternators, a starter, rear hatch lock, window motor, oxygen sensor (nearly killed me on the highway approach), a fuel output sensor, something major in the steering, 2 front wheel boots; have computer failure that causes radio to repeatedly whine while rapidly switching back & forth from CD player to radio; turn it off and it turns itself back on! Doors unlock themselves. Awful awful mileage (16/20 & I drive moderately). Spent so much in repairs since 2001, I couldn't afford new car. A SUPER LEMON!

Handsome lines of body

Manufacturing quality obviously a hit and miss venture in 2001. My car purchased new was a MIGHTY BIG MISS!! Must have been built on a Monday morning. Everything sub-quality.

Love this vehicle- two year second owner
By Dan

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I gave a lower reliability score because a front seal Transfer seal setn out and led to having to replace the casing, not a cheap fix. I'm second owner to the warranty was not valid for me but the dealer/manufacture kicked in for a third of the cost. I don't understand the lower ratings on "performance" but my 2.6 v6 really gets with it when merging into a fast freeway on ramp. It is really fast which surprised me on the test drive for an SUV. This vehicle has 8o,ooo on it when I bought it and the previous owners had kept really good care of this rig, it was like new and still is and, unlike the new models it still had the combo CD/cassette radio and a rear window that opens (love it).

Driving characteristics. Handles really well and has plenty of power. Seating comfort and for a smaller SUV the rear seat is one of the easiest to access and plenty of foot room for your passengers.

Cannot think of any real improvements, this model even has the DVD player and as an AWD we ran it through the snow up to the winter cabin with out so much as a slip, really sure footed. For the new models (08-09) I would suggested they put the CD/cass and the rear opening window back in the package

Not as good as it seems
By ed

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car about two years now, at the begun everything seem so be ok but problemas started.. alternator need to be change, two transmissions sensor were bad so all the transmission blew up, then the time chain, the radiator have a leak, the factory alarm fail, the ac compresor fail... everything fail in order all this in abour 2 months, i like the feel of the car but to me at least kia wil not be a brand to recomend i have own 4-5 GM cars and thay have had the same problems but maintance end reapairs are lot cheaper

the engine feel power

Lot of things... resume.. quality

Good all around
By DISA27

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Haven't experienced any of the previous stated problems. Probably because I perform regular maintenance and treat it like an AWD V6 SUV, not Formula 1. I don't beat on it too much, occasional off-road fishing trips performs awesome in the mud (minus the 9 in of ground clearance. Decent gas mileage 20-24 with mixed driving and K&N flat filter.

sturdy leather, monsoon sound (cd/cassette separate tweeters not crap coaxial). AWD and rev happy engine.

Autostick shifts are sluggish, too much body roll when turning. Noisy at speed.