Used 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Santa Fe Sport for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Hyundai Excels in the 2018 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate

Pete, 02/08/2018
2.0T Ultimate 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After 3 months of research, test driving 12 different compact or mid-size SUVs, and considerations of value, pricing, safety, features, comfort, driving ride, and technology onboard...I purchased a 2018 Pearl White Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T (2-liter 240 hp Turbo) Ultimate SUV with a gray leather interior. In 2017, our daughter purchased a Black Santa Fe Sport with Beige interior that is essentially the same as mine in terms of features/options - with the exception of her's having the base 2.4L (185hp) engine. Following my reading of more than 15 trade magazine reviews, as well as personal experiences with this vehicle - we all agreed on the following: Terrific value for the money; Solid construction; Feature-rich; Tech-rich; The 2.0L Turbo engine is worth the moderate extra cost; The interior is well done, roomy, and comfortable; Dollar-for-dollar - the best bang for the buck in its mid-size SUV class. Candidly...when doing all of the pre-purchase homework...I took the approach of "consider all the other similar vehicles that are better", and determine which of those would be 1 of my 2 finalist considerations. After all the research and numerous test drives of other players, the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Ultimate won the contest hands down. I must mention that I did miss my trade-in of a Mercedes E320, but the joyful ride of the Santa Fe Sport is might close of a pleasant driving experience. Mike drop.

I loved this car until...

Angela, 05/12/2019
4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Hyundai and the 1st one to truly disappoint me. I bought the car new, drove it to work and back almost exclusively on the highway and after 10 months and 11, 653 miles, the engine blew. Yep. Completely quit me. The good news is that the car told me it was having problems and all I had to do was press a button and there was a technician on the line as I drove along who was checking the messages coming from the engine. Unfortunately, he was unable to diagnose any problems and suggested I get to a dealership as quickly as possible. I was 300+ miles from home when it happened so he found the closest dealership and I was headed that way when the car jumped, stuttered and acted like it had lost most of its power, so I pulled over. The technician then told me to contact customer support and they would have my vehicle towed to the nearest dealership. All of this was way beyond my expectations and I was so thankful to have them making arrangements since I was so far from home and by myself. Unfortunately, that's where the good ends. Since that time, the engine was diagnosed as a failed engine and needs replaced. After 2 months (yes, you read that right) at the dealership, there is still no ETA of when an engine will be available to replace the one that quit. The engine in mine is the 2.4L and it apparently has a history of failure. When I called down to the dealership today, they said there are THREE of them on the lot like mine waiting on an engine and the dealership can't get any information from the manufacturer as to when an engine will arrive for any of them. I truly loved my Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and was planning to drive it for several years but now I'm looking at having to replace it. To top it all off, the customer service from the national level has been sporadic, inconsistent and frustrating. One person approved a rental and another did not approve a rental, then a 3rd person approved a rental but only after I had been without any car or compensation for 45 days. At this point I'm thankful for my state's Lemon Laws because Hyundai now must purchase my car back from me. However, even that is taking more time than it should while I'm still without a vehicle. It's too bad because I would have purchased a Tucson as a replacement but now I doubt I'll ever own another Hyundai based on this experience. Purchase with caution.

Upgrade to the great "Tech package!"

CsC#21, 10/31/2017
2.0T Ultimate 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this vehicle to replace my wife's 2010 Santa Fe. Have driven it for two weeks now. We upgraded to the AWD and Sport 2.0T Ultimate turbo engine with the tech package. I am truly surprised at what a pleasure it is to drive this handsome car. When traveling the highway, all I need to do is basically make sure I have the radio on the correct XM station and that the temperature in the car is set for my likes. Other than that, let the tech package take over. What I mean is that with the Smart Cruise Control package, the car keeps me about five car lengths behind the car in front of me. If I'm traveling a four lane highway, and the car in front of me is going slower than the speed I've set, all I need to do is pull out to pass. And, when I do pull out to pass, the blind spot warning will let me know if there is another car present and whether it's safe to do so or not. Also the lane departure warning let's me know if I'm straying from my own lane. Oh, and if that slower person in front of me slows down while I'm in Smart Cruise Control, my car automatically slows down. I tested it once and upon coming to a red light, I let the the Smart Cruise Control take my car to a FULL STOP based on what the car in front of me did. I frequently travel a dark, hilly, and winding road. No problem with the tech package as this car has Dynamic Bending Light, Auto Leveling Headlights and High Beam Assist. All of which means as I take those turns, the headlights shine the corners. If I'm going uphill, the lights shine up the hill and I no longer need to worry about the high beam as the car automatically turns it on or off as needed. The car also comes equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking with pedestrian warning. I haven't used either of those features and hope to never use them! Our car is Mineral Gray with black interior. I find accelerating a breeze as the car shifts smoothly through the gears to settle where it needs to be. The back seats come with heated seats. A large moon roof is impressive. I am totally in love with this car. One knock is that I find it difficult to find a place to rest my left elbow while driving. The normal place where I would rest it is where the window and door meet. This location seems a little too high for my comfort. Oh, the car comes with a three year subscription to My Hyundai which allows remote lock/unlock and starting. I can also tell the car how long to run and set it to whatever temp I want. A great plus for cold New England winters and (somewhat) hot summer days. Oh, those are all done FROM MY CELL PHONE!!! I am not very impressed with Android Auto, but that could be because I haven't played too much with it to this point. The noise inside this car is a great reduction from our 2010 Santa Fe. I would definitely recommend this car if you're in the market.

Ideal replacement for a 2014 Santa Fe Sport

ken goldstein, 12/01/2018
4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2018 Santa Fe Sport maintains the same interior and exterior configuration without any great differences. The technology was increased and the safety features are much more helpful, especially the all around cameras. The 2019 model dropped the sport title, changed the exterior grill, and small rear windows were enlarged and the exterior now appears more boxy. The interior navigation panel was raised and seems to block some of the exterior view. They also removed the CD player and added apple/android charging station. We chose the 2018 over the 2019 because we did not like the changes.

SNATA FE SPORT VS HONDA CRV

EDJAS, 03/25/2018
2.0T Ultimate 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Having owned two Honda Accords, 2010 and 2014 over the past 8 years I was inclined to buy a CRV.when I found out the CRV did not have cd player I decided to look elsewhere. Great move!. I found out that the CRV does play music files from cd s if you transfer them to a usb in the wav format. So I decided to test both. The CRV is a fine car,acceleration is good and smooth. Handling is fine etc. The seats were ok ,like the Accord seats. The music playback was ok sounding a little better than my v6 Accord. But when I tested the Santa Fe sport there was no comparison. The Santa Fe was faster as it should be since it has 240hp while the CRV has 190. I would say the mpg for the CRV is around 5-8 more.that is the tradeoff.I can live with that,maybe 200 dollars per year more in gas assuming 10k per year.the seats in the Santa Fe were more comfortable,very good for my back etc. Besides the fact that the Santa Fe has a cd player the sound system in the Santa Fe was far superior than the CRV. Much better clarity and options to change the balance. Cargo space in both is about the same but the CRV second row seats fold down flat while the Santa Fe are up maybe 6 inches. Not a big deal. And the Santa Fe has more room in the back for basically the same area. When I asked where was the spare tire in the Santa Fe I was told it was outside below the car! You turn a lever and it descends. This resulted in lifting the back cover up to reveal a small storage area below! Very nice and useful. The CRV has the spare tire there. One slight negative is that the Santa has only one usb while the CRV has 4. Two would be nice. But it has two 12v plugs in front and they can be adapted to a usb plug,so? It s ok. The 4 camera setup in the Santa is very useful in parking etc. It gives you an great view as if you are looking down above the car by 20 feet! Amazing! Parking lines and curbs are easy to see.the Santa has more safety features but the CRV is fine in that area as well. I like the ability to put cd's on a usb in the wav format and play them but you could just play mp3's. Still the hassle of transferring cd s to the computer and copying them to a usb would be annoying. I have 100 s of cd s. A cd player is far better. Both of course have bluetooth so using your phone to play music is another option. So my reasons for the Santa over the CRV is better acceleration, more comfortable seating, much better sound system. Also, it has a moon roof twice as big as the CRV. In my Accords I didn t use the moon roof much but this one is spectacular! I find having it open is fun! People are amazed when they see it. Oh! One more point. The reliability of Honda vs hyundaI was important to me and Honda seems better in that area. But since the hyundaI has a 60k and 5 year warranty and I plan to keep it for 3-4 years,that wasn’t a factor. Thank you Honda for not putting a 35 dollar cd player in your CRV.now I have a better Santa. PS,I should mention the cost etc. While the CRV was cheaper by a few thousand,the discount by honda was far less,maybe 1500? did not get a firm price as i was not pleased with the CRV. The Freehold Hyundai rep, Tony Rodriguez, was very knowledgeable and very helpful,answering all my questions or finding the answer quickly. I researched the best price on the internet and knew what I wanted to pay. I told Tony all this and he went to his manager and came back with 6250 off the MSRP. I was pleased. He did ask if I was ready to buy today and I said yes! and I did. An additional plus at Freehold Hyundai is that they have some great coffee there! I must have drank 6 cups! It actually was an enjoyable experience. After i drove home and read some of the features etc,I got a low battery alert! I went back to the Dealer and said the battery needs to be charged. Tony asked if i had the accessory feature on without the engine running for 10 min? I said yes. he replied that after 10 min in accessory mode that warning light comes on. Battery is fine. I guess I have to read the manual with 100 + pages! Looking at all the features inside I feel like Buck Rodgers in a new spaceship!.