2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Consumer Review: 3+ year update

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - Consumer Review

2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

3+ year update
By dallasterrain on

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Still love my Santa Fe! Have had it for 37 months now and 44,000+ miles of mostly mixed city driving. I'm a single, 61 year old guy and live in Dallas. For my purposes my Santa Fe Sport hits all the sweet spots for me. I have a white one and to me, it still looks better than any other SUV on the road. Other than replacing tires and the battery, I haven't had any mechanical problems at all. Just recently I think my window washer reservoir has sprung a leak. It must have gotten a small puncture from road debris.

Still gets decent gas mileage. I average around 20 to 22 mpg around town. The turbo gives it just enough power to be effortless for passing and pulling long hills in the mountains on interstates. It does not have that push you into the back of the seat that a comprable 6 cylinder might have (I had a Camry with the 278 hp six and that had a lot of thrust!), but it has plenty of power. However, if Hyundai were to make it with their own six cylinder they put in their regular Santa Fe, I'll bet it would be better.

I'm a short, "portly" guy, and this vehicle's seats are broad enough to accomodate me and be very comfortable. There's plenty of room throughout and I've ferried around some big guys in the back seat and they had plenty of room and were comfortable. I also absolutely love the layout of the dash and console. Plenty of space for stuff and water bottles and it has a clever open bin area at the base of the dash with power points that's perfect for my cell phones and GPS etc. The rear storage is big enough to easily handle my golf clubs and for that matter, two sets of golf clubs and whatever else you want to throw back there. If you need more space, the rear seats fold down almost flat and gives you tons of room. For me, this vehicle is just the right size.

This vehicle has two of my must haves for an SUV. It does not have an air dam under the front bumper so you can pull up to curbs while parking without worrying about breaking anything. I've broken a bunch of those things over the years and that has always been one of my pet peeves! The other is that it has a small turning radius. I can't remember what it is, but it is tighter than my previous sedan and my previous GMC Terrain. It feels very nimble and is very easy to park. I still get surprised at being able to make U turns in tight spaces and when I need to cut it hard to get into a parking spot and make it with inches to spare!

The only quibbles I have with my Sport is that the steering could have a tighter ratio. It has the trick electronic buttons that change the feel from more effort to less, but that doesn't actually increase the ratio. You turn the steering wheel a few inches and nothing happens. Also, there's a little bit of wind noise around the side view mirror and B pillar as well as noticeable road rumble from the tires. It's certainly not bad or terribly distracting, but it could be a tad quieter.

So, overall, at this point I would most definately buy another one. It's stylish, sporty, comfortable and reliable. I love it!

Just drove from Dallas to Knoxville and back.
My turbo was a great cruiser.
Very comfortable and quiet.
Averaged 25 mpg overall for the trip cruising at about 80 most of the way with it set on ECO.
Did a long stint between Memphis and Little Rock going between 70 and 75 and averaged about 27 mpg.
They always say if you slow down you get better gas mileage!
Not the best gas mileage but love everything else about the vehicle.
My brother has a brand new Lexus RX350 and my Sport measures up very favorably to it.
Almost the exact same size.
The Sport's interior has a nicer layout.
The Lexus has a 6 with about 8 more hp and got 22 mpg on their trip.
UPDATE: 42,000 miles. Still love my Sport! Not one single problem. Did have to change out the tires at 35K. Nice highway cruiser with plenty of power. Still gets about 22mpg in mixed driving. Can get up to 28 mpg on the highway if I'm going the speed limit. I usually get about 25 going 75 to 85. One of the things I love about this vehicle is its tight turning radius. Makes a big difference and makes it feel smaller. The turbo gives you plenty of power but won't push you back into your seat. The only very minor complaint I have is that the steering is a little slow/loose feeling. Oh, and beware the enormous blind spot. The third back windows are small and sweep up. Nice look from outside but you can't see anything. Get the blind spot warning!

I still love everything about this vehicle and will certainly get another one when the time comes!

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By dallasterrain
on 12/15/14 17:03 PM (PST)

It's a year later and I now have 21,000 miles on my Sport. Still absolutely love it! Mileage has increased a bit. I'm now getting around 24 mpg in mixed driving, but that can vary quite a bit depending on all sorts of factors. It seems that about 22 mpg has been the low. I'm in sales and drive all over the Metroplex between Dallas and Ft. Worth and beyond. It's just me in the car and it's basically flat around here. Everything still works and I've had zero repairs in 14 months. Although the turbo 4 has plenty of power, it does not have the kind that makes you smile, but if you put your foot into it, it will get you there in a hurry. It has more than enough power to zip in and out of traffic and merge onto the highways. I had a 4 cylinder Terrain before this and it was a dog, but it did get better gas mileage. Always a trade-off :) This vehicle has tons of room and it fits my needs perfectly. Looks sharp, extremely comfortable and well laid out, peppy with good gas mileage, good but not great stereo, Bluetooth works seamlessly every time (and I toggle between two cell phones a lot), and in general, works great. Oh, I can't even remember what steering wheel setting I have it on. You'll find your sweet spot and set it and forget it. I shopped all the usual suspects in this class, the RAV4, CRV, Ford Edge and Escape, & the Mazda CX5 (plus, as I mentioned, I had owned a GMC Terrain). I'm still very happy with my choice. You can't get the combination of sportiness, good looks, comfort, and power from any of the others in its class.