Skip to main content

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Catchy Unibody Trucket with

Michael W, 10/25/2021
SEL Premium 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

SEL Premium AWD with about 3400 miles on the turbo / dual-clutch combo. This trim-line seems to offer some value if you don't want or can't source a Limited. I've managed 23 mpg since owning it. One trip of 45 miles registered 30.3 mpg. It is just practical enough for fuel economy these days. I liked the idea of getting a Hybrid but I do not have a place to plug in a hybrid (or really the time to charge consistently with a residential drop) Very happy with the Santa Cruz overall; suits my use perfectly, no hitch yet but I am eager to get that installed. After about 1000 miles the shifting smoothed out at low speeds. I will elaborate a bit on that. With the dual-clutch, there is a bit of a 'grabby' halting sort of feel cornering and coasting thru intersections. That feeling I would also describe as a low-key sort of 'engine brake' that is always in the background. So that feeling is what smooths out after the first 1k. The AWD is competent, but I wish it had a bit more RWD bias on takeoffs. I am used to Volvo XC AWD. The ground clearance is just enough, Wish it had a better-protected radiator (small stones) and/or skid plate setup. It doesn't drive like a large vehicle. The turbo is punchy. I do like the look and functionality of the 18" 245/60r18 tires vs the larger 20s (which have a lower sidewall profile) Overall it is a really attractive vehicle. Grateful to have one, It's the answer to a prayer for a reliable vehicle that was also functional in the right areas. It's the first new car I've purchased after owning 7 or 8 other vehicles. I did not compare the Maverick because It wasn't on the lot when I needed it to be. The Santa Cruz receives a lot of compliments with the consensus being that it has more presence and capability than people expect for a truck that is not a truck. The front end takes some getting used to but I had to appreciate the 'Cruz' in relief of the front grill pattern. My tip, buy a set of ratchet straps to keep in the back. I've used the bed extender one time for a large dresser and needed the straps. Then moved a haul of 6 pallets, also needing the straps. And buy one without the rolling tonneau cover worked into the deal I will be driving the Santa Cruz around for a long time.

3 out of 5 stars

4 out of 5 stars

Really happy so far with SEL trim but...

Chuck, 11/05/2021
SEL Premium 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

My wife and I were in the market for a car, usually we buy a used car that's a year or two old but when we saw the styling on the Santa Cruz we both fell in love. While I would have liked to buy the Limited, I just couldn't justify the cost so we bought an SEL. The SEL has the smaller engine and I would just like to say that it's perfectly fine for everyday driving. If you're going to tow or want to go off-roading you'd probably want the more powerful engine. The front seats are comfortable and offer plenty of support. There is no room if you're sitting in the back. I'm 6' and like my seat back, there is really no way anyone could sit behind me with where my seat is positioned. Not a problem since it's only my wife and me. It handles like a car and fun to drive. Don't like that there's no built in navigation. Especially with a screen as large as it is on the Santa Cruz. Don't like I couldn't add the bed cover but the dealer told me it wasn't available, even after market, for the SEL. Wish they would have included a spot for sunglasses in the roof like I've had on most of my other cars. Plenty of storage both inside and out. The controls are well laid out for the most part. I don't care for where they put the seat warmer controls. We've had a couple of Hyundai's and they were solid and dependable so were comfortable going with a Hyundai this time. Especially with it's styling because we both think it's really appealing. It also doesn't look like every other pick up truck out there which were huge points in it's favor as far as we're concerned. Yes, the bed's not that big but it's big enough for our needs. Now I just have to find a bed cover...

5 out of 5 stars

Best of all worlds - updated six months in!

JustinS, 09/02/2021
updated 03/03/2022
Limited 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

My original thoughts at time of purchase: I purchased my 2022 Santa Cruz Limited AWD three weeks ago and have put 1,000 miles on it so far. I absolutely love this vehicle! PROS + Fit and finish is excellent. High quality materials used throughout the cabin. Keep in mind I do have the Limited trim which comes with upgraded materials and features throughout the interior. + Driving experience is great. More than enough power, fun to drive, and the dual-clutch transmission is quick! + Beautiful design. I'm sure it will fade over time but I have never gotten so much attention in a vehicle before. Everyone seems to like its design when they see it in person. + Practical. The Santa Cruz bed, while small, is perfect for small around-the-house projects, light landscaping, and just general hauling of small furniture items. The price of the vehicle seems very fair for what you get. The size is perfect and easily fits in our tight garage. + Technology. I'm coming from Lexus models and the safety tech and infotainment is blowing my mind. The preciseness of the lane centering and the ability to stay in the lines around curves is something I have not experienced before. The Bose sound is excellent, but not the best I've heard in a car, yet more than fine for someone like me who really enjoys listening to music. + Heated seats and steering wheel work really well. The seats get so hot that I had to turn them off, which I've never had to do before in a car. CONS - No flip down armrest for rear seats - CarPlay is only wireless on lower trims but once you get the upgraded, larger screen it requires plugging the wire in. No idea why. - Dealers are pricing these anywhere from $5k to $20k over MSRP. I paid sticker, so it's definitely possible right now. My advice is to just keep shopping until you find a dealer willing to sell at or below MSRP. - Ventilated seats could be better, but better than not having them at all. - I wish it came in a silver exterior color like the concept That's all I can think of for now but I'll keep this review updated as I put more miles on the SC. 6 MONTH UPDATE: Still loving the Santa Cruz. Issues: We had some squeaky brakes and it took the dealer a few visits to fix them. That was at approx 1,500 miles and they replaced the brake pads. Now with 9,000 miles on the odometer, the noise has not returned. Not having physical buttons for the radio and A/C is actually totally fine for us as we've really gotten used to the interface - BUT - we have a ton of scratches on the piano black plastic and screens in the center stack, even though we only use clean microfiber towels to wipe the dust and fingerprints off. Oh well. Maintenance: We had the first oil change and tire rotation completed recently and it was covered by Hyundai's 3 year/36k mile maintenance-covered period. Pros: Everything else has been enjoyable. No rattles, the build quality seems great, and we've been able to use the bed for small house projects. We absolutely love this thing - best car purchase in years!

Head Turner

Rocky, 10/23/2021
Limited 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

Got the Preferred (AWD, 8AT, 8" Screen) here in Canada. LUV it. Had a 11 Ranger prior. Everything is snug, well built. Many people look, and both thumbs up. Only issue are getting the accessories. Not much out yet in Canada, and i do say, expensive. The Mavricks accessories are huge. But, the Style, looks are definitely a Plus compared to Ridgeline and Mavrick

Don’t snooze Cruz

Lynn, 09/03/2021
SEL 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

This little truck is very cool, it rides very smooth if you don’t want to spend a lot of money get the SEL but if you want luxury and all the options get the Limited you’ll love the adaptive cruise and the blind spot monitors

12345...8