Skip to main content
$33,550

Save as much as $821
Select your trim:
12345...6

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2023 Kona Electric, so we've included reviews for other years of the Kona Electric since its last redesign.

I love my Kona EV

Charlotte Scot, 11/02/2021
updated 08/29/2022
2021 Hyundai Kona Electric Limited 4dr SUV (electric DD)

While the EPA and Edmunds reviews say the car gets 258 miles between charges, I have never gotten less than 298 and, the majority of the time I get over 300. The car is "zippy" and responsive and, the best part is: it is not a Tesla:-) UPDATE: The Kona EV is a fabulous introduction to the world of electric vehicles. The EPA (and Hyundai) say the range is 258. I have gotten as many as 300 miles. The average American drives about 30 miles a day. The car is perfect for daily errands. I rarely charge more than once a week and, with a charger at home...life is easy. I am 75-years-old and I highly recommend the car for other seniors. Comfort, quiet, and numerous (standard) safety features. It is my way of thanking the planet for all the beauty it has provided for me during my life.

1 out of 5 stars

LG battery malfunction in 2021 - do not buy!

Heather, 08/30/2021
2021 Hyundai Kona Electric SEL 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Hello: We purchased this car initially because of its quick pick up. I would not buy this car again. After 2 months, the high voltage light came on, and it quit working. The whole EV battery needs replacing. It has the LG battery that caused issues in previous models. We are on week 3 with no ETA of a fix. Also, the value has dropped by thousands of dollars. Stay away from this hassle!

2 out of 5 stars

Steer clear of this one if range is a concern

Tim B, 06/07/2022
2022 Hyundai Kona Electric Limited 4dr SUV (electric DD)

TL;DR: I would not have bought this car if I knew the range was 3/4 to 9/10 of the rating. Let me start by saying that the Kona is a great car. The Kona Electric, specifically, is not a great car. Be aware that when they say you get 258 miles on a "tank", you are going to get somewhere between 3/4 and 9/10 of that range on DAY ONE. I bought this car brand new. In the fall (40-60°F) I get 75% of the mileage estimated by the car. In the winter (30-35°F) I get more like 60% of that range. On a 75°F day I only get 90% of the range. Not to mention that, as with all electric cars, the range will decrease over the life of the battery. To clarify, I am not running the heater at full blast and expecting to get 260 miles. I can see when I change the heater setting that my estimated miles to empty changes. Here's my test: I'm leaving the heater at a specific setting, checking what the car estimates the miles to empty are, monitoring my miles driven, and checking again what the car's estimate is at the end of a trip. For example, several times I have driven 30 miles and "lost" 40 miles from the estimated range. The only things running besides the heater are trickle-charging my cell phone, connecting Android Auto via a wired connection, and playing music at a reasonable volume. This is on a highway at 70mph. If the car is expecting me to drive 55mph to achieve that range, then there should be an adjustment based on how I'm using the car. If I've been driving at 70mph for the last hour, it should know that I plan to keep driving at 70mph. Also, since the range decreases with decreasing temperature, the car should account for that in the estimate. Another thing worth mentioning is that when you get down in the 8%-ish battery range, it stops giving you a mileage estimate altogether. The car basically throws its hands up and says "Find a charging station immediately. Good luck!" Aside from the range issues, I have a few other complaints. -For one, the "traffic light camera ahead" notification is fine and dandy, except that it speaks over your music, and there's no way to turn the feature off. There is one traffic light in my city where it will repeat "DING! Traffic light camera ahead. DING! Traffic light camera ahead. DING!" for as long as you sit at the red light. Thank God I don't have that intersection in my daily commute route. -Why no wireless Android Auto on the premium trim? The baseline trim has wireless, but the premium trim has wired only. There's virtually no way to get a wired AA connection to your phone if it's sitting in the wireless charger slot (especially if you have a larger phone like my Pixel 6 with a bumper case). For my own use, I 3D-printed basically a triangular prism that tilts up my phone enough to let the phone's USB-C slot stick up enough to plug in a cord, but that removes the ability to charge the phone wirelessly. -The visibility out the back is poor. Test drive one to find out if this is an issue for you. The blind spot indicators on the side mirrors are helpful in this regard. -A test drive will confirm this for you, but if you're over 6 ft tall, this is not the car for you. Ok here are a few positives to consider: -The electric motor (in my tests, with factory tires) gets 0 to 60mph in under 7 seconds. It's snappy, and responds instantly to the gas pedal. This is one major benefit of electric cars; no gear changes, no injecting fuel, it just GOES. -The safety features are (mostly) great. The backup camera is good, and it will alert you if a car or pedestrian is crossing or about to cross when you're in Reverse. Lane assist, active cruise control, and automatically applying the brakes in certain situations; these are all options you can enable or disable in the menus or with the buttons on the steering wheel, and they all have their place. Lane assist has what I'd call "passive" and "active" modes, meaning that it will do as little as beep at you when you're crossing the line, or as much as nudge the wheel if you drift even farther. However, there are some annoyances such as the car alerting you not to merge, when you're in a two-lane-turn situation, i.e. there's someone next to you turning the same direction. It can't differentiate between that and merging lanes on the highway. Also, if you have an empty lane between you and another car, and you signal and then move to that lane, once you're in that lane but haven't turned off your blinker, it's a 50/50 chance whether the Kona will think you're about to side-swipe the other car. -It drives smoothly. It's not top-heavy (due to those heavy lithium batteries beneath your feet), and the wheel is responsive. I never feel like I'm not in control of the car (except, as mentioned above, if I have the lane assist turned on). Would this car have been worth $44,000 (including all the junk the dealership forces you to buy) without the $10,000 total I got from state and federal subsidies? Hell no. Is it a decent choice for $34,000? Sure, I guess, but I wouldn't have bought a Hyundai if I knew about the range issues. Personally, I doubt if any Hyundai brand electric car has good battery management.

1 out of 5 stars

Bought it in May... haven't had it for 2 months.

Sam Miller, 09/09/2022
2022 Hyundai Kona Electric Limited 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I purchased a brand new 2022 Kona Electric in May 2022. I had a new job that would require a lot of driving, and figured it would be smart to go fully electric, while I wanted an SUV for my family. I loved the vehicle. Smooth handling, great touch, great range... BUT. At 2 months, and less than 1500 miles, I got a notification telling me to "CHECK ELECTRIC VEHICLE SYSTEM." I brought it into a dealership, where they did not seem to have any idea how to handle the issue. It took them almost two weeks to finally decide - the vehicle needed a brand new battery. However, the batteries are on a national backorder, and they don't know when I'll be able to get a new one. So now, despite leveraging my financial future for a brand new Hyundai, I am stuck paying for gas, driving a vehicle that doesn't suit my family, with no estimate on when I might be able to get that new car back. And when I do get it back, who knows how long it will run for this time, before requiring service again. Service that Hyundai doesn't seem to yet be equipped to provide. While driving it, I loved it. Excellent vehicle, safe, smooth, incredible comfortable. But unfortunately, I can't recommend it to anyone, and had to warn other potential buyers - UNTIL HYUNDAI SOLVES ITS BATTERY ISSUES, DO NOT INVEST IN THIS VEHICLE.

Great commuter Car

Serge, 03/05/2021
2021 Hyundai Kona Electric Ultimate 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Our experience with the Kona is great, it check all the boxes to be a great commuter car. We leased it with no down payment and $23.000 in Rebates. And that's great because the residual value will be only 40% after 3 years. So try to negotiate the best deal :)

12345...6