Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Engine stinks
By Tonya

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

2011-2014 Hyundais have terrible engines. They skipped a step while making them and metal shavings get into the oil and subsequently cause the engine to tick, knock and then it's ruined. It's engines called nu-engines. They will fail at different mileages. Ours failed around 106,000. The problem is if you replace the engine you're just replacing it with another faulty engine. Hyundai is not doing what it should and the dealer, Adamsons, in Rochester didn't help. We've owned two Hyundai's previously and they were very dependable. Due to this one vehicle I will never buy another Hyundai. They should've made it right.

It’s a good car, but not the best!
By NV

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

First time buyer, so my options were scarce. I chose the elantra because it looked a littlw “sportier” than the others I was shown. Well it’s obviously is NOT a sports car, but that doesn’t mean it should take forever to switch from 45 to 60 on the freeway. The acceleration and gas mileage are my two biggest issues. It takes forever to accelerate nearly causing accidents on freeway ramps. The gas mileage SUCKS! I’ll be lucky if I even hit 30 MPG going mainly 60 on the highway. For being a 4cyl, the amount of $$ spent on gas is ridiculous. I can fill up with $30 on a sunday night and drive to and from work (50 miles roundtrip) and by Wednesday it will be at half a tank or less. It’s crazy! Other than that the car is reliable, and I haven’t had any other issues whatsoever. It’s not the worst, but I definitely am not impressed by it after 2 1/2 years. Can’t wait to upgrade!

153k strong with no problems
By John Doe

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in May 2013 and have since been driving it up and down the Nj turnpike with mostly highway but some city driving. This car has given me on average 41 mpg for my commute which helped the car pay for itself compared to my BMW getting me 23 on the commute. Along with that I have never spent anything other than regular maintenance on this car. I followed the factory schedule religiously and did all maintainence myself and today my car has over 150k and it is not leaking oil or making any noises. I drive people in my car and when I tell them it has 150k they are astonished because of how much it feels like a new car. I am now looking at changing the rear shocks as they have gotten a little bouncy overtime. But that is completely normal for a car that has reached its half life. I intend to drive this car till 300k and I don’t think I’ll have any issues getting there.

Blind spots
By Gordon Koerner

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Car has blind spots in the front and rear. In the front the side posts hid an 18 wheeler. Small rear view window with blind spots. When backing have almost hit many cars due to large rear window posts and small window. My only accident in over 30 years was backing into a parked car which was hidden the entire time by the right side rear window post. Had to get a pillow to sit on since the seat has a low driver pitch that when on a long trip my right leg would fall asleep due to the strain from the seat belt pressure.

My Favorite Car I Ever Owned
By ElantraFan

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

First time I saw the redesigned Elantra, I knew I wanted one. I'd had two older Elantra previously and they were good cars. I bought a 2013 used with 26K miles. It was going to be my car for the next 10 or more years. As long as possible. But, sadly it was rear ended and declared a total loss at 85k miles. Anyway, it was a wonderful car. It had amazing mpg's. I could get up to 44 mpg but averaged about 38 as I did a fair amount of mixed city/highway driving. It was stylish, reliable, and super cheap to maintain. It had everything. I kept up with regular maintenance, like oil changes, etc. Only had brakes done once, and bought one set of tires to replace the factory tires it had when I bought it. Only problem it ever had was an airbag light came on, but that was covered by the 100k mile warranty! Car was great to drive, enough power for the highway and good grip on the road. Interior was very roomy and comfortable. Trunk was huge! If you are looking for a great value and a car you can enjoy looking at, I recommend the Elantra. I'll be getting another one!